CCleaner

Brandon_

CCleaner

Features

CCleaner is our system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Cleans the following:

Internet Explorer

Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat files.

Firefox

Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Google Chrome

Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Opera

Temporary files, history, cookies, download history.

Safari

Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.

Other Supported Browsers

K-Meleon, Rockmelt, Flock, Google Chrome Canary, Chromium, SeaMonkey, Chrome Plus, SRWare Iron, Pale Moon, Phoenix, Netscape Navigator, Avant and Maxthon.

Windows

Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files, Log files, Clipboard, DNS Cache, Error Reporting, Memory Dumps, Jump Lists.

Registry Cleaner

Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more...

Third-party applications

Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...

100% Spyware FREE

This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.

More Info

• 9 months later...

I am another fan, but have one word of warning for newcomers to it. Before actually running the program, open it up to OPTIONS/COOKIES, and save all the cookies for the programs that you have to log onto regularly, otherwise you will have o log on at every visit. After that it really is great. :D

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I have been using the paid for version - and I consider it worth it.  I consider that it is an excellent programme and hope it doesn't get ruined by the new owners 

I don't subscribe for the extra features - but for the fact that if everyone just used the free version - how could they afford the high cost of keeping it going.  The days of decent free software are numbered. It is probably necessary when a developer wants to get some useful stuff off the ground - but they then have to depend on either inbuilt advertising or some form of subscription to support its continuance.

There is no such thing as a free lunch - there is always a catch or consequences.

andsome subscribes to this principle in part - since he is willing to pay for security software when there are plenty of so-called free ones available.

5 hours ago, AlanHo said:

I have been using the paid for version - and I consider it worth it.  I consider that it is an excellent programme and hope it doesn't get ruined by the new owners 

I don't subscribe for the extra features - but for the fact that if everyone just used the free version - how could they afford the high cost of keeping it going.  The days of decent free software are numbered. It is probably necessary when a developer wants to get some useful stuff off the ground - but they then have to depend on either inbuilt advertising or some form of subscription to support its continuance.

There is no such thing as a free lunch - there is always a catch or consequences.

andsome subscribes to this principle in part - since he is willing to pay for security software when there are plenty of so-called free ones available.

I do so with the security because ESET are always in the top few, and because they have FREE UK support, which I needed this afternoon when an update did not download as it should have done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
v5.38.6357 (12 Dec 2017)

Browser Cleaning 
- Edge: Session clean no longer removes set-aside tabs 
- Chrome: Added support for cleaning cookies from Local Storage 

Cookies 
- Chrome Local Storage Cookies can now be managed from Cookie Manager 

Windows 
- CCleaner no longer cleans the list of files waiting to be renamed 

Installer 
- Fixed 'Error opening file for writing' error 

General 
- Fixed a library dependency that was preventing CCleaner from opening on Wndows XP in some cases 
- Fixed a rare case where CCleaner could check for updates multiple times in a short space of time

image.png

EDIT - not exactly sure what I did there, but I was doing a spot of housekeeping and managed to trim a bit off the top of -pops- post below        :oops:

so hopefully I've restored the bits (if not necessarily in exactly the same place).

Be careful with this update. Just done it and the cursed thing installed Avast A/V without my explicit permission. I didn't notice anywhere on the Ccleaner pages that it would do that or, indeed, any mention of Avast at all but there it was.

It installed very quietly and I didn't realise it was there until I saw it on the desktop.

Easy to install, perhaps, but devilish to remove. It took more than 15 minutes to uninstall and a reboot before that damned thing was gone.

It may be that Avast is the best program in the world, I don't know, but anything that uses tactics like that will never have a permanent place in my computers.

I installed the update without experiencing that problem. Strange?

3 hours ago, -pops- said:

Be careful with this update. Just done it and the cursed thing installed Avast A/V without my explicit permission.

-pops- 

Where did you get your update from ?

I always use :- https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Never any problems using that.

On googling 5.37 did have a problem - did you see anything like this ?

Capture.JPG

I opened Ccleaner and it told me there was an update. I clicked on the notification (as I normally do) and went ahead.

There was nothing about Avast as far as I recall but, I wasn't looking for or expecting it.

It could possibly have been off the screen but, I certainly did not give permission for it to install.

The version was 5.38

11 hours ago, -pops- said:

It may be that Avast is the best program in the world, I don't know, but anything that uses tactics like that will never have a permanent place in my computers.

Did the same to me and I'm usually pretty good at spotting stuff like that, I used to like avast! that's put me off them even more than the increasingly irritating nag screens they've employed over the last year or so. However I'm even more pissed off with Piriform, I downloaded the ccleaner update from their website and as with -pops- saw no notification that they'd piggybacked anything else and at no point was I asked if I wanted to install it, it just appeared. I had a notification that Windows Defender was deactivated which surprised me greatly then it told me I was protected by avast! which I hadn't chosen to download or install. Very shabby after years recommending it I think it may be time to look for an alternative.

:ranting: 

I opened Ccleaner on another machine and it told me there was an update. I clicked on that notification and was taken to the normal looking update page. However, at the bottom in small print, was an untick box wanting me to install Avast (unless I unticked the confirmation). Easily missed - I DID miss it the first time around.

I thought those assumed consent tricks disappeared many years ago. Obviously not. I am looking forward to an alternative.

Eset take some beating. They are always near to the top, and are not too expensive. What's more they offer free UK help on the phone. They are always more than happy to take control of the computer if a phone call does not solve a problem. I haven't used anything else fro some years.

I am not one of those infected. However, I have sent them an e mail saying that several forum members are very angry at being infected in this way.  It will be interesting to see if they bother to reply. Why don't all those who have been infected complain?:hi:

I just opened the ccleaner installer and had another look, the opening splash screen does have a banner ad on the bottom for avast! something that I clearly either ignored or just didn't register. It does however come with the offer to install avast! pre selected, you need to opt out. Now I still don't like it, it's all arse about and should be an opt in if you so choose. The moral however is always read the small-print before doing the updates particularly on frequent repeats, familiarity makes you sloppy and this installer clearly sets out to exploit that. Software houses change hands and the new owners may not be operating on the same moral level. At the moment avast! seem to be extremely pushy.

-pops- what antivirus are you running ? I have a theory that as far as I can test seems to hold water, if the ccleaner installer detects a third party anti virus there's a blank Splash screen and no avast! install. If however you're trusting to Windows Defender the splash screen changes and the avast! installer shows up. If you like me are using Defender then it's a theory I'll stick with, if however you're using some other anti virus I may need to refine it .

PS refine in this context equates to Scrap and start again.