ZoneAlarm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZA (free) was my firewall of choice for many years (since version 3.7). Then when Checkpoint took over ZA, they decided to load ZA (free) with all kinds of crap - basically everything that is in the Security Suite, but in disabled mode. Naturally this caused many problems, and after ZA 7 disabled two of my computers, I decided to get rid of it. I still have it on two other computers, but instead of upgrading to the latest version, I will also replace them with Comodo.

Comodo is reliable, unobtrusive, and does not place any strain on the system. Comodo just acts as the old ZA has done.

Some ZA users say they will just stay with the old version, 5.5, or 6.1, or 6.5, but these old version do have some security issues that were later fixed, but unfortunately the "fixed" version is no longer reliable.

:oops: I spoke too soon.

I have had to uninstall Comodo due to its acting up on my computer and not being friendly with many programs. :(

Just could not get onto the net after a couple of days, all screwed up on my connections too.

so uninstalled it.

I have read that not all computers act the same way, mine has its own funny ways like does not like IE7 that was first to stuff up my connections. Using iE6 but only when links by default.

Reinstalled new version of ZA which I had craftily downloaded just in case prior to above install of Comondo. Learning you see :lol:

Now it is working fine ZA and I did click onto No so didn't get the other programs, but still in the download, I must say didn't remember the no bit prior or would have.

Anyway, Firefox updated to 2.0.0.5 and works sort of, same with IE6, but, both hesitate, like I get cant find server, check your connections or typing etc.

Got the wizard to check my connections which I had had to redo, by uninstall and reinstall with my ISP techs as mucked up. Said connections were fine.

So why do I get this hesitation and have to use the refresh button on my FF browser - any suggestions.

Also, more serious - I have lost that window that pops up first on start up and which I had on auto connect to net. Gone and I don't know how to find it. :rolleyes:

so now have to go to start, connections, and get the other window and connect that way. Manually, which is a pan as I like to boot up and then let it sit there and do its thing, updates coming in to Avast, and others and then it collects my emails and is ready to go. Or else since I have only 223 ram according to Ccleaner, I have a job to work whilst all this updating etc going on on start up. Hope you know what I mean :D

Now I also used a couple of program tools I have got and used before to sort out problems, Erunt and NGREGOPT to back up and then maximise the registry. Then I used WinsockXP and it repaired something, and after that with ZA working, am in above position, have to refresh pages to get past first cant find server most times, not all the time, and have lost my connection window that pops up on start up.

Any suggestions........Please

• 2 months later...

ZoneAlarm 7.0.408.000

• 2 months later...

ZoneAlarm 7.0.462.000

• 3 months later...

:unsure: Tried the link for ZA new version and got file not found.

had a look around the site and found another place to download firewall only it says but is a very small file and I think an installer that connects when you open it etc.

Also dont know if it it the latest version.

:D

Thanks Pat. :D

this one is even bigger 44MB. I do wish they would let you just have the firewall only as I am sure they used to without all the other bits every time. :rolleyes:

Plus just noticed also it now tries to install immediately and if you do haven't checked it for anti virus or spyware etc. Bit naughty I think.

Or pushy

• 1 month later...

ZoneAlarm 7.0.473.000 - sorry, we seemed to have missed this update one week ago.

no need for updates anymore: i switched to Comodo and i like it much better...

*unsubscribing from this topic

I did that some time ago too, until Nod 32 brought out their full security suite. :D

• 2 months later...

ZoneAlarm 7.0.483.000 - this is to fix the network access issues that arose with KB951748.

The downloads are not yet listed on the release notes links above; please download the updates from

:ranting: Yep I found out the hard way right in the middle of connecting a new printer. Downloaded update and whammy no connection. Said pages was reset in the middle of connection etc.

Thought it was the new hardware so did a restore as it was working when I had it working and registered it online.

turned on today doing monthly payouts and there was the yellow shield again so thought maybe as I didnt restart it but left it and then turned off had lost the update so downloaded it again and whammy no connection - blast it - then got your email and thought wow - so downloaded the new version only to find it has the same problem and is the old version I already was using 473.

So now have lowered the security to medium and connected but I do get fed up with this business of ZA and you go to their website and it aint the right one.

Not the first time is it?

Not your fault Pat I know but they do seem a bit like M$ at times :rolleyes:

Meanwhile do I really need K 951748 or will they put the 483 version up sometime soon? :D

• 3 months later...

ZoneAlarm 8.0.059.000

Do not rush to install this upgrade; previous 8.0 releases were withdrawn due to severe performance issues.