Java 2 RTE

Check reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy\EnableJavaUpdate is set to 1.

Could be slightly different on 64bit?

Thanks for trying Chris - as you suspected the route to the setting was slightly different on 64 bit - but there is no reference to "enable Java Update - or anything like it. Do you reckon I have to substitute "EnableJaveUpdate" for "Default" and set the variable to 1. I am always nervous about mucking about with the registry in case I have to fire up Acronis yet again.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because it is not there ;)

But you can create it, right click in the whitespace on the right and click New > DWORD (32bit or 64 bit; try them both - one at a time mind you ;) )

Name it "EnableJavaUpdate" then when it appears double click it and give it a value of "1".

Try the control panel again.

That's because it is not there ;)

But you can create it, right click in the whitespace on the right and click New > DWORD (32bit or 64 bit; try them both - one at a time mind you ;) )

Name it "EnableJavaUpdate" then when it appears double click it and give it a value of "1".

Try the control panel again.

Thanks Chris - I did that and it seemed to have worked - the update tab now appeared.

However - when I clicked on the "Update Now" button nothing seemed to happen(perhaps it doesn't if your Java is up to date?. I noticed that Java was set to check for downloads monthly at 0300 hrs on the 9th of the month. My computer is not on at that time so I changed the setting to 0800 hrs - but it would not "stick". Although on the update page it showed 0800 hours - after closing and re-opening the Java control panel it had changed back to 0300 hrs again.

I therefore decided to uninstall Java and reinstall from the links given earlier in the thread. I have 64 bit windows but use 32 bit IE8 (not all web sites work properly on 64 bit IE8)- so - as before, I installed both Java versions as they advise.

This time the update tab appeared OK - but the manual download button again did not show any action and Java is now set to check for updates on the 16th of the month at 1600 hours. Yet again - it will not let me change this date or time.

I give in.................. :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

OK,

Looking back on this from April, I've now got 64bit Windows 7 and have found this...

With jre-6u22-windows-i586-s.exe and jre-6u22-windows-x64.

Install x86 Java (only) on x64 Windows 7 - Java CPL shows the Update tab. Updater is present in msconfig with the command being C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe and the location as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

Install x64 Java (only) on x64 Windows 7 - Java CPL does not show the Update tab. Updater is NOT present in msconfig and there is no Java directory in C:\Program Files\Common Files.

The above are not installed on the same computer - only install one and you will see.

Now...

Install both on the same computer.

1) Install x86 Java - Java shows as Java 32-bit in the control panel (from C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe). The Update tab is shown. (Updater is present in msconfig)

2) Now install x64 Java - Java now shows as Java in the control panel (from C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javacpl.exe). The Update tab is now NOT shown. (Updater is still present in msconfig)

What gives?

I have them both installed as well.

The only Java updater present in my msconfig is x86.And the Java found by typing Java in Start is system32.

I found nary an update tab anywhere on PC.I did however find the updater tab by opening Java Control Panel (right click Java icon in Sys. Tray and select Open Control Panel) after opening a Java based game.

• 7 months later...

Learned something new today...

I thought that having Java RTE x64 version on a 64-bit system should be sufficient.

After installing LibreOffice today I found out otherwise. LO requires JRE x86; so both 32-bit and 64-bit JRE may need to be installed on a 64-bit system.

Makes sense once you think about it...

• 1 month later...

Java SE 7

This release includes new features such as small language changes for improved developer productivity, a new Filesystem API, support for asynchronous I/O, a new fork/join framework for multicore performance, improved support for dynamic and script languages, updates to security, internationalization and web standards and much more.

Release notes: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-relnotes-429209.html

Readme: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jre-7-readme-430162.html

:download: Both 32bit & 64bit JRE http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-se-jre-7-download-432155.html

Note: You must uninstall Java SE 6 manually before installing Java SE 7 and be sure to uncheck any unwanted addons if offered!

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Pat. :flowers:

I noticed I still had some 6.29 installed - so removed all that first [following your instructions Pat, ha ha]

Confirmed I had no Java installed.

I installed the x64 for my x64 machine - still saying no Java installed.

In addition I installed x86 version - now confirmed I have Java.

Hi D4\/!d,

Yes, Java is a bit strange in that way. I would have assumed that the 64-bit version would install both 32-bit and 64-bit runtimes, but it doesn't.

If you install the 64-bit version, it will only install 64-bit JRE, so on a 32-bit browser it will appear as if Java is not installed.

So on a 64-bit system you have to install both.

• 2 months later...

I'll just pop this in because it is relevant to Java uninstalls & updates.

Some may find it useful. -

- ( Others wont of course, - and will pull it to pieces without a doubt. :rolleyes: :lol: )

javara2.jpg

javara-1.jpg

http://sourceforge.n...rojects/javara/

December 28th, 2011

(JavaRa 2.0 is now in Beta and has been available since 27th January 2012)

JavaRa is a very simple utility that lets you update and remove older versions of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) with just a single click.

There's nothing too difficult about JavaRa and that's most likely the reason why it doesn't include a help file because both beginners and more experienced users should be able to get along with the app quite fast.

The main window is just minimal and comprises only four buttons, letting you "Search for Updates", "Remove Older Versions", view "Additional Tasks" or access the "About" screen.

If you wish to search for updates, there are two different options, to update JRE using the built-in jucheck.exe system or update using Sun Java's website. Both worked okay during our test, so it doesn't really matter which one you choose, just make sure you have an active internet connection.

The "Remove Older Versions" button does exactly what it says, but Windows 7 users must run the program as administrator to be able to uninstall the program.

As for the additional tasks, here you can remove useless JRE files that take unnecessary space on your computer, remove the startup entry that may slow down your system, remove the Sun download manager, open JavaRa logfile to check for errors, remove Java Console Extention and delete Java IE BHO.

Of course, you don't need a super machine to run this tiny apllication, but an Internet connection is mandatory to be able to update Java Runtime Environment.

As a conclusion, this is one of the simplest ways to deal with Java, and since it's free and runs on very low computer resources, it can easily become a must-have for many computer users out there.

• 11 months later...

Corrine has some good advice at Security Garden:

The scheduled February Java critical patch update was accelerated due to active exploitation “in the wild” of one of the vulnerabilities affecting the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in desktop browsers.

The new Java release is Java™ SE Development Kit 7, Update 13 (JDK 7u13), with the full version string for this update release being 1.7.0_13-b20 (where "b" means "build") and the version number is 7u13.

If you have uninstalled Java due to recent critical vulnerabilities and have not missed it, my suggestion is to bypass re-installing it until or unless it is needed. See Java, The Never-Ending Saga for additional information on removing or disabling Java.

Should there be software programs you use or websites that you visit that require Java, it is strongly advised that the update be applied as soon as possible.

http://securitygarden.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/accelerated-java-critical-update.html

• 1 year later...

Java SE 7 update 65 released (for those who need / want to remain on JRE7).

Release Notes:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u65-relnotes-2229169.html

Download:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

https://www.java.com...load/manual.jsp

Make sure to uncheck any unwanted software offers during the installation.

Verifying Java Version: http://www.java.com/...d/installed.jsp

How do I test whether Java is working on my computer? : http://www.java.com/...ad/testjava.jsp

Does the advice to disable it still apply?