Old PC...new HDD

Not a problem as such, well not yet anyway :rolleyes: , Hubby brought home a PC which my daughter wants. It only had a 4 gig HDD in it so I would like to put in a bigger one, only 40 gig or so.

It's not exactly new so am I going to have a problem putting in one of this size? I've tried googling various bits but cant find much.

If you need any details just shout :)

Hello Pops :)

Yes, everything works fine. Nice and clean inside too. in fact, it all looks like new even though it isn't if you know what I mean.

Operating system is Windows 98SE

CPU is Cyrix Cx6x86MX/MII CPU clock 250mhz

Motherboard info -

motherboard OEM Luckytech Technology ltd

Bios version Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

Chipset vendor VIA technologies Inc

Chipset VT82C597/597AT/598MVP/ApolloVP3

I hope that helps a bit :)

with Windows98, it only supports FAT32 so you would be losing 20% of your space to indexing. im not 100% sure about compatibility. i havent messed around with pre-2000 machines in quite some time. but a big red flag is popping up when i think about +25gb.

if i were you, i would by a PCI ide raid controller card, then put your 40+gb hard drive on there. better support then the old IDE controller on board.

then install windows 2000 sp4, asuming you have atleast 64mb of ram.

I've installed a 40 gig HD today, it's not detected in the bios however :(

I've put it in mine and it's fine so the actual drive is ok. Maybe I'm missing something, which is quite likely.

I've split it into 2 partitions and that made no difference either.

If some kind soul could tell me what the exact procedure is after I've actually put the drive in the PC, I would be oh so grateful :flowers:

Have you got the jumpers and the IDE cable to agree. some where on the drive casing will be a legend telling what the jumper settings should be.Set It tp Master and then connect the outer end connector of the IDE ribbon to the drive. The bios might then oblige...but what do I know.

Before you use it it will need partioning and formatting.

Tools for this (fdisk and format) will be on your W98 rescue disk. This should boot up from the floppy drive and load everything into a virtual drive that it will create in RAM. Odds on it will label the virtual drive "E".