Trying to install IE7

Tony

Hi all

Long time no see, have been working in Ireland since the summer, so only had internet every second weekend when i came home.

Hope all of you are well.

Anyway to my question, i have been trying to install IE7 via the auto updates for the last week or so, but it always comes up and says unable to complete updates, you must restart your computer to complete the updates, upon restarting nothing has changed, no IE7.

Any ideas what the prob could be, my system is Win XP SP2 fully updated apart from IE 7 that is.

Thanks

Tony

Hi

Thanks for the link, i have not tried it from there, or anywhere eles other that the Windows Auto Updates thing that pops up at the bottom of my screen from time to time.

I am downloading it now from your link, will let you know how i get on.

Thanks

Tony

On the release notes page

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740486.aspx

Installation Errors

If you receive notification that the installation failed, you should restart your computer to ensure that any changes made during Setup are undone.

To find information about installation problems, refer to the following log files:

%windir%\ie7_main.log

%windir%\ie7.log

%windir%\ie7Uninst.log

Note: %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows.

Remember that lots of people dislike IE7 and wish to revert to a previous version - it may be anticipating your reaction :)

I am not a regular user of IE but from what I've gleaned from the new vs the old versions, I prefer the old.

Hi

I ran IE7 as a beta version for some time, so i know what i am getting with it.

I did a search for the log files and they do not appear to be there ???

Any more ideas?

Tony

PS the fact that i ran the beta has nothing to do with this problem, as the PC has been reformatted a couple of times since i had the beta installed.

Unfortunately the symptoms are different, my installtion does finish, but just says unable to install update.

I live in Germany so it is not a problem with NTL i am having.

Thanks though.

Tony

I do have Zone Alarm installed, but i always switch it off on boot up as it seems to stop a lot of web sites from loading, this one included.

So i may just uninstall it and then give IE7 another try.

Thanks

Tony

I do have Zone Alarm installed, but i always switch it off on boot up as it seems to stop a lot of web sites from loading, this one included.

Tony

What a palaver. I remove any program that causes a nuisance like that one appears to be doing. Remember there is almost always an alternative..

Why use IE at all? Why not just use firefox 2.0.1 (I use firefox 3 but it is still in alpha) with IE Tab? That way you getter better browsing. And if you need it to use the IE rendering engine, that is what IE tab is for!

Also it has better security and privacy features then IE7.

Why use IE at all? Why not just use firefox 2.0.1 (I use firefox 3 but it is still in alpha) with IE Tab? That way you getter better browsing. And if you need it to use the IE rendering engine, that is what IE tab is for!

We've had this discussion many times in the past. Some of us don't like FF and believe it or not we CHOOSE to use IE.

Hi All

Ok i got it installed after i un-installed ZA, so i am now looking for another free firewall, any recomendations?

Thanks for the help

Tony

Make sure that you uninstall ZoneAlarm 100%; otherwise you will have troubles for a long time to come. See http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...an_install.html

There are people who want or need to run ActiveX for certain purposes. ActiveX does not run on Firefox, even on an IE Tab.