PC extremely/unreasonably slow/slower...

Adela

(winXP Pro; OE 6.0; IE 6.0; Dell Dimension XPS T450MHz Pentium III; Symantec AV Corp. Edition; spybot S&D; ad-aware; spyware blaster)

Since about a year or so my entire computer is progressively slowing down - no matter where or how I click to the extent that what took only seconds now takes MINUTES! True, my computer is about 6 years old but I take good care of it, including frequent anti virus, anti spy, anti ads, etc. and have no pets or children. Before spending good money, and search time from among oceans of diff. types, is there a way I can find out whether this extreme slowness is due to old age? Or something wrong with my registry (which I never touched for fear)? Or I may have accidentally deleted a system file?

My servers made a speed test and told me as far as THEY are concerned, it's fine. Is there any other tests I could take? which ones and where?

Thanks ever SO very much for any help in uncovering this puzzle!

Adela, NYC

P.S. Can I backup my registry into a zip100 disk? Would I need a HijackThis first? I have guides to backup OE &the rest, which I'll do soon, but don't know whether it will include the registry too. Thanx.

How long since you defragmented your drives?

Do you use Ccleaner (or anything similar) to remove unwanted files etc?

Thank you, pops and, yes, besides frequently scanning with all those antis I mentioned (virus/spies/ads), I do defrag. The last time, about a few weeks ago, it said "no defrag necessary" or something to that effect.

I did try using one of the many strong cleaners in the past...but when it presented the long list of stuff, I didn't know which ones to delete so I abandoned!

I tried to delete from the Add/Remove as many programs as possible that aren't used...but didn't recognize the descriptions and, again, was afraid to delete! There are several lines of each MS security updates, other securities for a bunch of different things, and another bunch of: J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update, among others. I wanted to copy them and ask someone if they know which can be deleted, but it didn't let me copy it. I wish I knew that it's safe to delete those updates once they are in the Add/Remove... Do you, or someone here knows please? I'm dying to be able to delete a ton of superfluous files from my puter! :unsure:

Thanks again! Adela

CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com can create an uninstall log.

Just install it, and go to Tools > Uninstall and click "save to text file" and paste the contents of that text file here. We will be able to help you determine which can be removed and which need to stay.

Any security Updates from Microsoft should be left in place.

CCleaner also has a cleaner option, which will remove any temporary files, among other things.

CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com can create an uninstall log.

Just install it, and go to Tools > Uninstall and click "save to text file" and paste the contents of that text file here. We will be able to help you determine which can be removed and which need to stay.

Any security Updates from Microsoft should be left in place.

CCleaner also has a cleaner option, which will remove any temporary files, among other things.

Thank you so much Scarecrow Man! I'm so grateful that you'll help me determine which files to delete! I followed your instructions but I didn't get the results. This is what I did:

I installed it and it showed 15 items. I went to Tools to click on "Uninstall" but Tools didn't have that option. Then I saw one of the items called: "uninst.exe" and double clicked...but it just took me through a regular uninstall, so I never saw the link "Save to Text File".

I then thought I'd run it to get the results for the forum to analyze, but it said: "This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you want to proceed?" so...I didn't!

I wonder where I made the mistake? :uhm: Can you tell from my description maybe? Thanks again! Adela

I will explain a little better. When you go to the uninstall screen, at the bottom right corner, there is a save to text button.

The analyze and Run Cleaner buttons will clean out any temporary files, as well as any options selected on the left hand side. This is safe to do, but the warning is to let you know that they will be deleted.

I will explain a little better. When you go to the uninstall screen, at the bottom right corner, there is a save to text button.

The analyze and Run Cleaner buttons will clean out any temporary files, as well as any options selected on the left hand side. This is safe to do, but the warning is to let you know that they will be deleted.

Hi again, I finally found the Tools and clicked on Save to Text File, and it showed "History.txt". I double clicked to open and post here...but it showed two options at the left side: "Uninstall" and below, "Startup". I clicked on Startup and it showed "These programs are set to run when your computer starts". Then below it said "Delete Entry".

Should have I clicked on "Uninstall" instead? I was kind of afraid not knowing what it would undo...

I'm so sorry to bother again, but I have the feeling that again I did something wrong? Adela

Hi! I finally was able to find the way to copy and paste the uninstall log after several trial and error! :o) Here it is and I hope you can tell me what's ok to delete, and a BIG thank you for all your help!!!:

Ad-Aware SE Personal

Adobe Reader 7.0.7

AppCore

AV

Belarc Advisor 7.2

BPS PC Internet Firewall Security 1.0.0.3

ccCommon

CCleaner (remove only)

Corel WordPerfect Suite 8

Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer

Google Updater

Hotfix for Windows XP (KB918766)

Internet Worm Protection

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9

LiveUpdate 3.2 (Symantec Corporation)

Macromedia Flash Player 8

Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage

Norton AntiVirus (Symantec Corporation)

Norton AntiVirus Help

Norton AntiVirus Parent MSI

Norton AntiVirus SYMLT MSI

Norton AntiVirus

Norton Protection Center

Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB911565)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB917734)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896422)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899589)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB905915)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB912812)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB916281)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB922760)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923694)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB924191)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB924496)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB925454)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB925486)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB928090)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB929969)

SPBBC 32bit

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4

SpywareBlaster v3.5.1

Symantec Real Time Storage Protection Component

Symantec Technical Support Web Controls

Symantec

SymNet

Update for Windows XP (KB894391)

Update for Windows XP (KB898461)

Update for Windows XP (KB900485)

Update for Windows XP (KB910437)

Update for Windows XP (KB916595)

Update for Windows XP (KB920872)

Update for Windows XP (KB922582)

Update for Windows XP (KB929338)

Update for Windows XP (KB931836)

WebFldrs XP

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474)

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)

Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339

Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250

Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835

Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836

Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185

Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472

Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742

Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113

Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302

Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859

Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781

Are ALL of these, "programs"? Also, the 2 entries about my OS not genuine, I have the new Home XP DVD but haven't installed it as I'm waiting to backup everything first, and THIS is the first step I thought I'd take for the backup.

Thank you again!!! Adela

Hi Scarecrow, thank you for helping me decide now that I should leave those programs alone. May I ask a few more questions:

(1) Do you think HijackThis will clean up all of my computer, including my registry?

(2) Does Ccleaner do the same?

(3) If so, should I backup BEFORE cleaning all up to keep whatever may get deleted accidentally?

(4) Or backup AFTER cleaning to avoid saving undesirable files?

(5) Finally could you and/or someone here review the results for me when I do it?

Thank you too, trackrat for the screenshot of the startup in Ccleaner. I had done before the run, msconfig and unchecked as many items as I thought would help (but I didn't recognize any cookies) it didn't help the slowness though. I didn't know I could DELETE them at the Ccleaner. I'll go to try it and hope I'll be able to tell which are cookies to delete (or not) and which system files? :)

Thank you both again! Adela

You should not remove any of those entries.

Your system may be slowing down due to large amounts of files being stored on your computer (like pictures, music etc.)

I'd say i would have to disagree with this, His computer is not slowing due to the fact that he has alot of files,programs,music and etc in his hard drive ( or more to the point , on the platters of his hard drive ) it is slowing down because of all of the items in windows startup...!

For example.....

Ad-Aware SE Personal

Adobe Reader 7.0.7

Internet Worm Protection

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4

LiveUpdate 3.2 (Symantec Corporation)

Macromedia Flash Player 8

The next few i will list here are a big joke to have in ANY home computer...!!

Norton AntiVirus (Symantec Corporation)

Norton AntiVirus Help

Norton AntiVirus Parent MSI

Norton AntiVirus SYMLT MSI

Norton AntiVirus

Norton Protection Center

Symantec Real Time Storage Protection Component

Symantec Technical Support Web Controls

Symantec

All of these items -PLUS - whatever wasn't already previously listed above ALL have a connection back to "Windows Startup" in the windows registry...

That is why the computer in question here is slowing down... :D

Hello Jason b.c., and thanks very much for replying!

...it is slowing down because of all of the items in windows startup...!

Then do you think I can delete all of the items from my Ccleaner uninstall log that you listed in quotes? If so, do I go to Ccleaner Startup and DELETE all of the items appearing in THAT Startup list?

How do you think I should clean up the registry? With a HijackThis maybe? Please be so kind as to clear my confusion? Maybe I even don't ask the right questions... :uhm:

All of these items -PLUS - whatever wasn't already previously listed above ALL have a connection back to "Windows Startup" in the windows registry...

How does one go to the Windows Startup in the windows registry to clean it?

Cleaning up the Startup at the "Ccleaner Startup" page will ALSO take care of the registry maybe?

Please forgive my great ignorance in this field. I'd be SO grateful to know for sure if it's okay to delete these items and where to find and clean the ones in the registry?

I anticipate my deepest thanks for any help! Adela

Please don't install or remove from startup the items that Jason listed, you will be left without any anti virus protection if you do :blink:

You do need to install the old Java updates though

2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10

2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4

I would also be interested to know what the AV entry is.

CCleaner will clean the registry for you too, if you click on the issues button, it will offer to make a backup which I strongly suggest you do.

Please don't install or remove from startup the items that Jason listed, you will be left without any anti virus protection if you do :blink:

Hello Nellie, by now I'm more confused! LOL! But I appreciate your help too. As to removing items from my log...I guess I better not...Perhaps my best bet would be to clean with the Ccleaner or HijackThis and ask of a kind soul here to tell me what to remove and what to leave alone from the resulting log? What do you think?

You do need to install the old Java updates though:

I didn't know they weren't updated. Should I go to ther website to update these 4 files? Also, I noticed you omitted the line: "2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11" - does it mean this one has already been updated? If so, how can one tell?

I would also be interested to know what the AV entry is.

I want to find the "AV entry" and show it to you...if I know what it is, and where I can find it? I thought "AV entries" were already in my log which I sent to Scarecrow in Post 8?

CCleaner will clean the registry for you too, if you click on the issues button, it will offer to make a backup which I strongly suggest you do.

Great! And BEST OF ALL, it will back it up for me BEFORE. It means I won't have to start from 0 to find out where, how, etc. to backup the registry. :)

Thanks so much! Adela

I think maybe you've misunderstood me..., I wasn't telling him to remove Norton from startup - nor was i telling him to un-install it ( wich he should after he get's a new & better AV ) , I was pointing out that he has a good number of items in start up.... :blink: :lol:

Adela, you have update 11 which is the latest update. The trouble with Java updates is that they leave the old one there and you are still open to any vulnerabilities that they had. All you need to do is go to add/remove programs and uninstall the ones I listed.

Jason, I know you didn't tell Adela to uninstall those items but I thought that she might from her reply

Adela, you have update 11 which is the latest update. The trouble with Java updates is that they leave the old one there and you are still open to any vulnerabilities that they had. All you need to do is go to add/remove programs and uninstall the ones I listed.

Hi Nellie...I'm still confused! You say here above: "go to add/remove and UNINSTALL the ones I listed", but in your previous msg you say:

You do need to install the old Java updates though:

I understand that you could've made a typo, but being the big hi tech dummy that I am, I can't figure out whether I should install these 4 files or uninstall them. If I should install them...should do I do it on Java's website? Please let me know? Thanks much!

Nellie, will I get an answer on the rest of my last message to you maybe? I'm eager to start this project which I've been trying to do for a year or so now! LOL!

Jason, it's ok as long as I know which of the two it's I. ;o) Adela

As Nellie's second says it's Uninstall the old java updates, you can do this through add/remove programs.

You probably have somewhere in excess of 1/2 gigabyte taken up in those files, I have one update on my system, 120mb.

Hi Mark2 and Nellie2, I just went to add/remove and deleted the 4 old Java updates (it felt good!) and hope it will reduce my slowness at least a little. In the future, should I remove the old ones as they appear in the add/remove, to avoid its accumulation and slowness? Thank you!

Nellie, the "project" I've been wanting to do, actually for even more than a year, and didn't meet my goal because of obstacles I find at each step: is to backup all my database in order to change from my "non genuine" winXP Pro, to my "genuine" winXP Home which DVD I already bought directly from MS for sometime now (the last techi I had sold me the non-genuine which I didn't know until MS found out...among other things like the Norton Corporate, etc. Bitter experience indeed and he isn't the first one, so I'm done with techis!)

To attain the above project, I've been trying to do the following:

(1) Clean up ALL my files, including the much feared registry.

(2) Backup ALL my database (or, as I asked before, should I backup FIRST and clean up AFTER?)

(3) Uninstall the "bad" winXP Pro, and install the "good" winXP Home, and...

(4) ...live happily ever after... LOL!

I wish I knew enough to do that on my own. Probably any of you could do in hours what's taking me over a year!!! :o)

One last question (after the 1001 I already burdened you with): Nellie you gave me a great link to MS for backing up the entire registry and I intend to go and try it, but you also did say that if I use the Ccleaner, it will clean the entire computer including the backing up first, and cleaning of the registry. If I interpreted you correctly, which of the 2 suggestions should I follow?

Thanks so very much for all your help! :) Adela

P.S. Jason, I went through the entire profile form you sent me, minus technical things I left blank because I don't know what they are...then on clicking "Finish" or whatever word to that effect, it kept saying to complete my birth date...I chose not to do that and...poof! all my entries disappeared! Sorry..

Oh.... well, now that makes things a lot easier. :D

If you are going to install your genuine copy of XP then you will need to reformat, in other words you will need to wipe your hard drive... so you don't need to worry about backing up your registry (because when you install your genuine XP Home it will create a new registry).

So all you need to do is back up your personal documents and things like your bookmarks and email addresses, ISP connection information and anything else that you will need when you install your new operating system.

I assume that you will want an antivirus.. so you can download Avast or AVG and have it ready to install before you go online

Oh thanks for asking the right question Nellie so that you'd know what I really need! Let me see if I understood:

I'll go ahead and backup everything except the registry.

Then I'll go and...reformat the hd? How do you reformat a hd? The same as a zip disk?

Then I'll just go ahead and install the new XP since the old one would've been wiped out?

However, one special question if I may please? Reformatting the hd means that it iwll also wipe out all my installed programs, cookies, etc. ??? In that case I may forget what I had, is there a way to copy a list of what I'll need to restore?

Please tell me if I interpreted your recommendations correctly?

I feel good as I sense I'm getting closer and closer to my goal!!! And it may even be THIS year!!! :)

Thanks again! Adela