Static IP's and DHCP Server

At my house we're running a Linksys wireless router, and two of the computers are desktops and two of them are laptops. I have an FTP server running between the two desktops, and what I want to do is set it up so that they have static IP's, but any other computer that tries to connect will get an address from the DHCP server. If I manually configure the IP in Windows, will the DHCP server recognize it or override it when the computer reboots?

Hello Raddy,

The actual act of manually setting an IP address on your network interface, will disable it from getting a DHCP address. When you open the properties for your TCP/IP connection, you will see that you have two options "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", which is basically telling your machine to get an address via a DHCP server, or "Use the Following IP Address" which is where you set it manually. Manual settings will not be overwritten by external sources such as a DHCP server.

You should however, in an ideal world, set your DHCP server (in your case the router) to only issue addresses in a range above that which you will set manually. So, assuming your router uses an internal address of 192.168.1.x you should set it to use 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.254 for DHCP addresses, leaving you to use the rest (192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.99 remember that the router will be 192.168.1.1) for manually assigned addresses.

• 6 months later...

Depending on the version of the Linksys router.

You may be able to set a static IP from the router. This is usually preferrable for centralized maintainability. It is also preferred in much older routers because they did not do DNS lookups for you. You had to find out what the DNS IP's were from your ISP and set them static in the computer. Occasionally, the ISP would change their DNS's IP's. That computer would appear to have lost its internet connection. This is not entirely true. Most websites could still be reached via their IP addresses. These days you can simply use your router as the DNS and it handles the rest.

Maintainability: All the IP's of a Network being in one location so that you do not accidently attempt to use the same IP address for two different devices. I use the word devices, because of such fancy things as PDA's, NAS's, VoIP routers, etc...