computer slow, why?

My computer is very slow these days and I have some hunches as to why. My computer has 200GB HDD, msi 7600GT graphics card, 430 watt psu, p5l-1394 motherboard, intel celeron d 2.6 cpu and 3GB ram. Now my guess are these: I upgraded from a 7300GT card a few days ago and I have a feeling that the computer is not adequately power; I took my motherboard out to test an issue on my cousin's computer so I think there is a possibility that the mobo is damaged; and the HDD might be faulty or the OS has virus but I doubt it since I reinstalled Windows (not clean reinstall) and the problem still persist.

My problem is that it takes 2 minutes to boot and log onto the desktop. Also programs take so long to load and would stall the whole OS. It would really help to know what the true culprit is. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

My computer is very slow these days and I have some hunches as to why. My computer has 200GB HDD, msi 7600GT graphics card, 430 watt psu, p5l-1394 motherboard, intel celeron d 2.6 cpu and 3GB ram. Now my guess are these: I upgraded from a 7300GT card a few days ago and I have a feeling that the computer is not adequately power; I took my motherboard out to test an issue on my cousin's computer so I think there is a possibility that the mobo is damaged; and the HDD might be faulty or the OS has virus but I doubt it since I reinstalled Windows (not clean reinstall) and the problem still persist.

My problem is that it takes 2 minutes to boot and log onto the desktop. Also programs take so long to load and would stall the whole OS. It would really help to know what the true culprit is. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

\

well you could put more power in....or u could switch to mac...i did that and there way better...lil more expensive but way faster..i like em but the compatibility is not the greatest. thats why ive bought the new MBP and now am ordering the parts for a nice windows computer for gaming...

btw ive had a mac for 3 years and never had a firewall/antivirus software for it... and ive never had a virus.

anoither choice is erasing the harddrive....works for me.....makes it like new.

srry for the bad spelling..im tired and typing as fast as i can.

\

well you could put more power in....or u could switch to mac...i did that and there way better...lil more expensive but way faster..i like em but the compatibility is not the greatest. thats why ive bought the new MBP and now am ordering the parts for a nice windows computer for gaming...

btw ive had a mac for 3 years and never had a firewall/antivirus software for it... and ive never had a virus.

Haha, that's funny because I have 2 macs already. I actually built this computer for the purpose of gaming (but it's a bit weak though). So I'm ahead of you buddy. ;) Thanks for the advertisement.

OMFG another mac user on a windows forum that dsnt hate em.....finialyl i found one.

Yea, I like them both but I prefer macs more. Truthfully my Windows machine and Windows in general has been giving me headaches for a while. I spend hours trying to solve problems (hardware and software), but I enjoy the challenge. I become more knowledgeable figuring out solution to tech stuff. After using macs for a while, I realize that I don't learn anything new computer-wise because I am able to get through stuff without hassles. They both have their pros and cons, but they're both great as well.

well im building my own computer...if you look at this computer there 2 other heatsinks...the rectangular one dsnt usually need a fan but some say its good....ive got a fan in power supply, 2 120mm case fans, a dual fan HD fan, and a powerful fan on my processor...think thats enough or should i install some liquid cooling?

intel%20975XBX2KR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Can you install some software that displays your processor's temperature? (There are dozens of free software that do that out there, just gooooooooooooooooogle.)

Hey, You can try downloading SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php). or others......

Slow processes can usually result on poor cooling methods. Try investing on high RPM cpu fans + heatsink. Also, dont forgot to insert the right amount of silicone compound (if any) on your CPU. Also, you should be able to see your temperatures within the BiOS. Check Memory, Frequency, Clocks, Voltage, etc... and compare it with the factory settings.

Wahts it look like?

• 1 year later...

I am not that good in repairing computers but I can give some advise. If you do not have an antivirus software and you keep inserting flash drives or usb drives and keep on downloading, maybe your computer has as virus. One of the best antivirus that i can prefer to you is Avast Antivirus Professional Edition. I am using this antivirus on my computer. Another antivirus software is the usb disk security which prevents viruses from flash drives on entering your pc.

Another thing why your pc slows down maybe because of low disk space. Lo0w disk space also affects the performance of your computer.

Another one is that maybe you have unfixed registries. Try repairing it using some of this utilities: Glary Utilities, PC Booster 2008, System Mechanic and Advance System Optimizer.

Try defragmenting your pc. It will also help improve your computer's performance. You can also use some pc boosters such as speeditup, rambooster and PC Booster 2008.

If it still slows down, try repairing your operating system using your windows XP CD. If it still doesn't work, try formatting it, but back-up your files first.

If it stills slows down, maybe you have a hardware problem.

I am hoping that this tips can help you. Have a good day. :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you have to many applications and softwares installed on your computer. Too much applications and softwares causes the PC to slows down.

If not, maybe some of your hardwares that are connected to your mother board is not compatible for it or does not support it.

Advertising links deleted - as contrary to Forum Rules