I'm up and down like a yoyo

doug

No haven't replaced the microfilter recently. I'll get one and do a swap later this morning. It obviously went down again during the night and came back on-stream at 03:48. Yesterday it had a theoretical BW of 3275/444 but you can see from the last chart the "best" speed was about 2000 kb/s earlier in the day then progressively dropped then drifted back up. Wile at present the BW is 2146/144. first speed check was 1447 - but ignore a one off test given the variability.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It obviously went down again during the night and came back on-stream at 03:48. Yesterday it had a theoretical BW of 3275/444 but you can see from the last chart the "best" speed was about 2000 kb/s earlier in the day then progressively dropped then drifted back up. Wile at present the BW is 2146/144. first speed check was 1447 - but ignore a one off test given the variability.

I don't know how you put up with a connection like that :censored:

If it was me I would try a change of the microfilter and if the connection still plays up then I would ask for interleaving to be switched on.

If Talk Talk are not willing to help then I would tell them that you want to be released from your contract as they are not supplying their side of the contract i.e. a stable connection.

By the way, we still don't know if you are using BT (Wholesale) equipment in the exchange or whether your exchange has been unbundled?

Type your phone number into here to see if your exchange has been unbundled by Talk Talk.

My exchange has:

6yzidyd.jpg

If your exchange has been unbundled then Talk Talk have more control over your line as it's their equipment that you are using.

Just got back in. By the way I'm leaving my router and several Internet sites up continuously while I'm monitoring the situation, so event though the members list shows me I'm in - I'm not physically if you follow my meaning.

Yes I am on unbundled BB.

I've just in from shopping including another micro filter and a spare cable to swap for the Master socket to the router to try and eliminate all possibilities and any faults ob me side. So back to the monitoring after another reset!

I have mentioned before in these Talk Talk discussions, a friend who has also had no end of bother with them. After running fine for about the last three weeks, except for a BB connection speed a fraction of what it should be, it is playing up again. She can no longer get e mail through Outlook express, only 6 will download. If she then returns, the same six come down again, not having been deleted from the server. Someone in India has talked her through entering the account details again, all to no avail. She now has to use web mail.

A damned good clean up and scan plus running NTREGOPT solved the problems. She is now getting a connection of a little over 2Mb, not good, but a decided improvement. :D

Yes I am on unbundled BB.

I thought so.

That means that if you ever want to go back on the BT network, you will have to pay £47 and I bet Talk Talk didn't tell you that.

AOL and Orange do the same in unbundled exchanges, they move customers over to an unbundled line to save themselves money and then if you leave them, you have to pay this £47 fee.

I've just in from shopping including another micro filter and a spare cable to swap for the Master socket to the router to try and eliminate all possibilities and any faults on me side. So back to the monitoring after another reset!

What is your plan on resolving your connectivity problem apart from constant monitoring of the line?

Just curious :huh:

Carry on monitoring with the new filter in place for at least a couple of days to ensure that I'm not drawing any conclusions on data collected from a "quiet" period. then repeat the exercise with a new cable from the new microfilter on the master socket to the router. This could be critical if Openreach decide to make a visit as the present cable I made up myself using a 6 wire data cable from Maplins and the appropriate plugs using a crimping tool from Maplins. It's obvious that it isn't a commercially made cable. It's a 6 wire job that was all that Maplins had in stock at the time so the outer insulation sheath was too big to go into the plugs. It was certainly fit for the job when I was using PlusNet for my BB connection.

Carry on monitoring with the new filter in place for at least a couple of days to ensure that I'm not drawing any conclusions on data collected from a "quiet" period. then repeat the exercise with a new cable from the new microfilter on the master socket to the router. This could be critical if Openreach decide to make a visit as the present cable I made up myself using a 6 wire data cable from Maplins and the appropriate plugs using a crimping tool from Maplins. It's obvious that it isn't a commercially made cable. It's a 6 wire job that was all that Maplins had in stock at the time so the outer insulation sheath was too big to go into the plugs. It was certainly fit for the job when I was using PlusNet for my BB connection

So your using the same 'home made' cable that you used when you were with PlusNet and back then you didn't get any problems with your connection?

If that's the case then I don't think that can be the cause unless you were on a fixed line speed which gives you more SNR margin to help insulate your line against the effects of 'noise'

Were you on a fixed speed with PlusNet, for example, 512 Kb or 1 Mb ?

As your now on a rate adaptive service, it is much more susceptible to line noise.

Can't remember what the details were for then CW. In the mean time I'm now simply waiting for the TT Engineers to do their checks. I'm not going to ask them to invoke the interleaving just yet as they may then use that as an excuse for any further problems on the lines that it wouldn't be their recommended setup. I'll wait ti see what they propose. Even so please keep coming up with all the useful info you can. Puts me in a much better frame of mind. The more inf I can glean the better.

I'm not going to ask them to invoke the interleaving just yet as they may then use that as an excuse for any further problems on the lines that it wouldn't be their recommended setup.

In actual fact long(ish) lines do perform better with interleaving on and as your line (and my line) falls within this category, I can't understand why they take that view :unsure:

In the mean time I'm now simply waiting for the TT Engineers to do their checks.

Let's hope your problem is sorted for Christmas as the dropped connections must be driving you mad, it certainly would drive me mad.

Take it all back about TT I've just noticed that they have now changed my profile to interleaved data path and the standard is now RE+ADSL2. So will now do a reset and start monitoring again. In fact here is the present situation before I start from scratch again.

Speedtest7.jpg

router7.jpg

I didn't say that TT have taken that line yet CW, I just want to explore all the possibilities first

I see.

Take it all back about TT I've just noticed that they have now changed my profile to interleaved data path

I'm glad that you are on interleaved as you should find that your connection is more stable.

I would be interested to know if it does make a difference so keep us updated :)

I use that one as well but the think.. produces a summary graph very quickly. It's results are always lower the the Speedtest one and seemed to me to fit the actual performance. Do you suggest that I Ignore it? By the way, I had another disconnect while having dinner!

By the way, I had another disconnect while having dinner!

Never.

What are your line stats now?

I notice that in your line stats in post #37, the interleaving does appear to be working as I see a few FEC error (corrections) but, disturbingly, they are occuring on the upstream channel and usually the downstream channel is affected more because of the higher speed and lower SNR margin :huh:

These are the results so far.

Router8.jpg

I notice that interleaving is working as most of the errors have been corrected (FEC) but all of the errors are on the upstream channel.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is some kind of line fault after all but strangely the upstream trouble only happened since going on to interleaving :huh:

In that screenshot, you have an uptime of over 3 hours (3 hr 8 min 49 sec) - is that good?

Do you find that your line drops more in the evenings or is it unstable all day?

However, even though it says I've got 3081 kb/s down and 144 up I'm actually getting 878 down and 137 up as measured by thinkbroadband. So I'll be patient for a bit.

I have found the thinkbroadband speed tester to be inaccurate and I prefer this one http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/

I use that one regularly. :D

Do the errors reset when you resync the router?

Here's some advice I got off another forum:

It could also be that the dslam is not reseting errors on resync, which leads to a huge upstream error count, this happens on quite a lot of adsl2 dslams.

To test this, ask him to do a manual resync, on reconnection the errors should have returned to or be close to zero, if they are the same or have increased then it's the dslam playing mind games!

I'll just post this advice (off another forum) and then I'll leave you in peace to assess how stable or unstable your connection is with interleaving on.

Hi have just swapped my router over so I can tell you how to do it

Now lets start Browse to http://192.168.1.1 your router should get you into System Information on the left go to Basic enter and you will see a list The top one is ADSL Mode enter and you will see a list, the bottom one is Upstream Bitswap Disable it, you just Submit it. You have now done but remember to {Save All} on the Left hand side. Hope that helps

This is supposed to stabilise the connection as that's what the poster did and he was using the same router as you on a Talk talk LLU connection and it worked for him :)