'Er Indoors

andsome

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't believe what I saw when I visited her at 6 P.M. She normally has a very weak stomach and is sick at the least provocation. Evidently when offered some water when she woke up after the operation she wanted tea instead. She has had turkey sandwiches and fruit with cream. She looks a picture of health, and seems to have had a weight taken off her shoulders. It is a terrible disease, and it looks as though she feels that a corner has been turned. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts. :D

I couldn't believe what I saw when I visited her at 6 P.M. She normally has a very weak stomach and is sick at the least provocation. Evidently when offered some water when she woke up after the operation she wanted tea instead. She has had turkey sandwiches and fruit with cream. She looks a picture of health, and seems to have had a weight taken off her shoulders. It is a terrible disease, and it looks as though she feels that a corner has been turned. :D

Marvellous news. :D

Do you know how long she is likely to be in hospital?

I couldn't believe what I saw when I visited her at 6 P.M. She normally has a very weak stomach and is sick at the least provocation. Evidently when offered some water when she woke up after the operation she wanted tea instead. She has had turkey sandwiches and fruit with cream. She looks a picture of health, and seems to have had a weight taken off her shoulders. It is a terrible disease, and it looks as though she feels that a corner has been turned. :D

Marvellous news. :D

Do you know how long she is likely to be in hospital?

I brought her home this afternoon. They were very impressed at the progress that she has made. It is tightly bound up at present with a slab of something or other in the palm to hold it in the normal relaxed position for a hand. She thanks everyone for all the good wishes. So far she has had no pain due to the large dose of morphine given after the operation, plus regular doses of tablet pain killers. It is however now just starting to throb gently, so she knows that there is some pain to come. After what she has put up with due to the deformity, it is very likely not going to be too bad. She has to see the physiotherapist tomorrow afternoon. :D

We were very surprised that she had no pain at all overnight. She must have a high pain threshold due to the constant pain of the disease over the years. We have to come up your way on the 26th to Stafford hospital to see the surgeon, that was where she first visited him, but the operation was done at Cannock Chase hospital. :D

When the occupational therapist removed the dressings, we just could not believe the wonderful work that the surgeon has done. It really did not seem possible. The therapist was very interested to hear that we had photographs and asked us to take them on Monday. I will take photographs of the wonderful contraption that she has built for her to exercise to regain strength. She has also said that she would love it if I took the camera on Monday to take photos of the work done, she is not allowed to take photos herself. :D

It's really good to know that she's making such good progress.

I was talking to my son about it last night, well arthroplasty in general, and he was saying it is one of the most successful procedures from the point of view of post operative appearance and relief of arthritic pain. He also said it is a procedure definitely not for the squeamish to know the details of - involving hammers, chisel and circular saws!

It's really good to know that she's making such good progress.

I was talking to my son about it last night, well arthroplasty in general, and he was saying it is one of the most successful procedures from the point of view of post operative appearance and relief of arthritic pain. He also said it is a procedure definitely not for the squeamish to know the details of - involving hammers, chisel and circular saws!

Just wait until you see the results. :D

I meant to take my camera to the hospital today to take some shots with the dressing off, but I had to go somewhere else first and forgot it. Below though are some shots of the splint that she has to wear for six weeks. She has to flex the fingers against the elastic bands to build up strength. You can see just how much the surgeon has improved her fingers, they are unbelievably straight to the original photo's. He deserves a medal.

Thanks folks. You can well imagine just how elated she is with the result. The exercises are making the wound sore, but she knows that she must persist. Hopefully this soreness will be less once the stitches are out. :D

Taken yesterday, exactly two weeks after the operation. The difference from a couple of weeks ago is astounding and almost unbelievable. The index finger centre knuckle was very badly damaged by the disease, and there was a lot of bone to remove. The swelling will lesson in time. The splint is now back on for a few more weeks, and she is still doing the exercises. The scar will of course lessen in time.