Uninstalling XP OS

Smile

how do i make it inactive?

Open up a command prompt and type DISKPART.

Type LIST DISK

Type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the old Win98 drive)

Type LIST PARTITION

Type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive)

Type INACTIVE

Type EXIT to exit DISKPART

Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt

Reboot

i found those instructions on a different site but i dont want to try it yet because the site looked kinda shifty, would this work?

you can boot from a live Gparted CD , it will give you a simple graphical interface with which you can delete/ resize/ create any partition

just make sure you know the order and size of your partitions because gparted uses Unix conventions to name partitions (no C, D, E but HDA1,HDA2 etc..)

And of course before you do anything - back up.

You need to download the ISO file and burn it to a disk.

Then make sure your first boot in the BIOS is set to Cd, boot your computer with the disk in, accept the default setting, then select your language, if it is English just type 33 at the prompt then press enter.

When the page loads, your hard drive will be shown in the top right corner, the drives will show as

hda1, hda 2 etc if you have an IDE drive, or sda1 etc if your drive is sata.

these are the equivalent of C, D, E etc in windows.

You can delete and resize from the top panel.

what do i do with the .zip file?

windows displays iso files with the same icon as zip files

do not unzip it

burn to a cd as an 'image'

you can do it with Nero or any other burning software (but not with the built in burning application in XP)

here is a free burning utility ,if you don't have one

once you have the CD , boot from it

you need to set the bios to boot from CD

you can definitely format any partition with it which will 'uninstall' windows

not sure about moving

You need to download the ISO file and burn it to a disk.

Then make sure your first boot in the BIOS is set to Cd, boot your computer with the disk in, accept the default setting, then select your language, if it is English just type 33 at the prompt then press enter.

When the page loads, your hard drive will be shown in the top right corner, the drives will show as

hda1, hda 2 etc if you have an IDE drive, or sda1 etc if your drive is sata.

these are the equivalent of C, D, E etc in windows.

You can delete and resize from the top panel.

ok i have the .iso burnt to a cd, the partition i want to delete is C: with 7.80 gb on it. the harddrive i have is called a "Toshiba MK8034GSX ATA Device", which it says is a sata-150, so the name in the program would be called sda3? or sda1? or what?

and to prevent further posts from me can you tell me what to do after that, much appreciated, thanks

ok i have the .iso burnt to a cd, the partition i want to delete is C: with 7.80 gb on it. the harddrive i have is called a "Toshiba MK8034GSX ATA Device", which it says is a sata-150, so the name in the program would be called sda3? or sda1? or what?

and to prevent further posts from me can you tell me what to do after that, much appreciated, thanks

It most probably be called sda1 if it's the first partition on the hard disc

Since Gparted is graphical you will be able to see it, once you identify it just right click on it and choose either delete or format, depends on what you want to do (it might appear as slightly bigger or slightly smaller than 7.8 gigs)

the interface is pretty simple - look at my screen shot (i'm not booting from a live CD in the shot, just running gparted in regular mode,you will need to boot from CD)

With Operating systems you don't really 'uninstall' , if you format the drive they are on, they cease to exist .

Pat has asked a good question, if you have another operating system on your computer you should be able to format your C partition easily. If you don't have any other operating system then I don't see any point in formating.

post-4283-1225806326_thumb.png

i have vista on my D: drive and xp on C:, the boot manager, whenever i turn my computer on it asks to run vista or earlier OS (xp) but whenever i click earlier OS it boots up and then goes to a blue screen, i loaded up the gparted cd and i no what to do to get to where i need but do i click delete partition or format it?