What Internet browser is the fastest? i hear Ie is slow.

lizard_king4202

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I always wonder what people do with all these accrued microseconds that they save from each click of the mouse when on the Internet by using a different browser.

I recall a few years ago there was great shouts and fanfares of trumpeting announcing a program that would speed up the loading time of Adobe Reader. I never found any particular problems with its loading time but this software claimed to shave 2 seconds from the 15 seconds that it took the program to open on an average computer. I asked what people intended to do with all this time they had saved each time the opened Adobe Reader but I didn't get an answer.

My recommendation is not to expect everything to happen immediately. By doing that, the next stage is, as andsome intimates, clairvoyant activity on the part of the computer. I think brain control of a computer is a little time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Firefox is very very fast comparing with IE. And it is quite stable. Chrome is also better than IE.

I don't see how it can be, as you can see on my post above, IE opens immediately. As pops says, what do you intend to do with a millisecond? :D

IE is only fast when you give it the memory it wants.

I have tried several browsers and have found that SeaMonkey or Safari are the fastest, Firefox is the most customisable and secure.

I wouldn't even know how to adjust this. I have never altered any of the setting on this or my old computer, and IE has always opened virtually instantaneously. As pops has already said, how on earth can you measure milliseconds? :D

I think the speed they measure is not how long it takes the application to launch , but how fast it renders pages. For a page like google.com there is rarely any difference ,but for graphic intensive pages with tons of flash and scripts sometimes there is a slight difference. Some people care about it some don't.

Just tested IE on this page, and it was impossible to measure the time taken to open, it must have been well under one second. It would be nitpicking indeed to expect a page to open any faster, and I would defy anyone to measure the difference. :D

Look here, does this page contain enough information?

I find the biggest slow-down comes not from downloading graphics but from advertisements. I now have SelectView for IE (http://www.download.com/SelectView-Filter/...4-10658595.html) which blocks 95% of ads. Since most sites need advertisement revenue to keep them going you can "allow ads" for the sites you use a lot and approve of (like Windows Forum). The worst sites for advertisements are American news sites like Bloomberg, so if you are a news addict like me you'll notice the difference.

Firefox have a similar add-on for ads called AdBlock Plus which seems less effective than SelectView for IE. But Firefox has a very effective blocker for Java scripts called NoScript which saves time on downloading all those useless animated advertisements on American sites especially. There's a simple menu that lets you allow the ones you want on the sites you want. Highly recommended. With this I really do notice the saving in time.

What I do with the seconds I save is to visit more news sites!

Okay look Milliseconds matter if you browse all the time, in one day does couple of seconds you saved might allow you to browse three or more pages than usual, and adding that up over a month or so should allow you to surf about 60 pages more that you would have before. Here's the run down on the browsers. IE is the fastest to start up if you have a good system because it is built INTO windows, (if you doubt this try to uninstall it), but it is also the most insecure because Microsoft ONLY releases patched every second Tuesday of every month and since IE has most of the market share it is the most targeted for vulnerabilities. Firefox is faster at rendering pages than IE but not by much. What it has going for it, is that it had MANY FREE Add-Ons. Opera is faster than firefox and much safer because it holds about 1% of the market share. Safari is faster than even Opera (no I'm not an Apple FanBoy) but it has very FEW Add-Ons. The fastest of them all is Chrome (the browser Google released) It is simple and probably even faster than IE at launching. Although Add-Ons have not yet been implemented, Google promises they will. Chrome is also THE ONLY browser, including FF3 Beta 2 and IE8 Beta, that can pass the Acid 3 test with 100/100. If you don't know what the Acid 3 test is, Google it. So in the end, on pure speed, Chrome is fastest at loading pages and probably Start-up (IE might beat it, depends on your machine)

Okay look Milliseconds matter if you browse all the time, in one day does couple of seconds you saved might allow you to browse three or more pages than usual, and adding that up over a month or so should allow you to surf about 60 pages more that you would have before. Here's the run down on the browsers. IE is the fastest to start up if you have a good system because it is built INTO windows, (if you doubt this try to uninstall it), but it is also the most insecure because Microsoft ONLY releases patched every second Tuesday of every month and since IE has most of the market share it is the most targeted for vulnerabilities. Firefox is faster at rendering pages than IE but not by much. What it has going for it, is that it had MANY FREE Add-Ons. Opera is faster than firefox and much safer because it holds about 1% of the market share. Safari is faster than even Opera (no I'm not an Apple FanBoy) but it has very FEW Add-Ons. The fastest of them all is Chrome (the browser Google released) It is simple and probably even faster than IE at launching. Although Add-Ons have not yet been implemented, Google promises they will. Chrome is also THE ONLY browser, including FF3 Beta 2 and IE8 Beta, that can pass the Acid 3 test with 100/100. If you don't know what the Acid 3 test is, Google it. So in the end, on pure speed, Chrome is fastest at loading pages and probably Start-up (IE might beat it, depends on your machine)

I wouldnl't even feel the need to surf pages in that quantity, what on earth are you searching for? A couple of seconds a day saved? :lol: :lol: :lol: , not even worth all the hassle and worry. :lol:

I wouldnl't even feel the need to surf pages in that quantity, what on earth are you searching for? A couple of seconds a day saved? :lol: :lol: :lol: , not even worth all the hassle and worry. :lol:

To some people it is. Maybe people who have their own site and are constantly looking for new information, or maybe people who are news junkies. And it adds up, over a lifetime imagine how many sites somebody who uses IE could have missed compared to somebody who uses Chrome.

I think it's all more of a personal thing to be honest with you. Depending on the sites you visit your browser would be more secure.

Or...half personal/half technical when it comes to RAM, CPU, etc...

Most sensible comment so far. :D