Windows Keeps Restarting

Im having a problem with my pc and I think its a hardware fault. everytime the computer has a few applications open it starts making a hissing noise and within 10 mins it restarts unless I close some applications, I have no idea why this is happening or how I can solve it.

I originally thought it was the processor over heating and so bought a new heat sink and fan that was cooler and yet it still happens, My next guess it that it may be the ram, i have a 1gb and a 512mb stick in the machine, the 1gb being relatively new and the 512mb came as standard.

I really want to figure out why this is happening and how I can resolve it as Im not really looking forward to buying a new machine if I cant.

It seems to happen alot if I try to play games, even ones that are supposed to be fine, eg total war 2, 2.4ghz 1gb ram, restarts after 10 mins

If anyone can provide any suggestions it'll be appreciated

System specs below

3.4ghz intel pentium 4 HT processor

1.5 gb ram

one 320 gb hd and one 250gb hd

ATi Firegl3100 128mb graphics

Xp sp3

With the specs I shouldnt have a problem. Please help

240v 5a

That seems a funny thing to me.

Watts = Amps x Volts

If it were really 240v 5a the wattage would be 1.2 Kw and you could cook your dinner on something with that output. The more usual size is much less than half that.

240v 5a

That seems a funny thing to me.

Watts = Amps x Volts

If it were really 240v 5a the wattage would be 1.2 Kw and you could cook your dinner on something with that output. The more usual size is much less than half that.

He must mean that it is fitted with a 5 amp fuse. It will use only a tiny fraction of that. :D

• 1 month later...
Can you open up the box (remember to disconnect from power first), to listen for where the sound is coming from (after reconnecting)? Use a piece of paper rolled up into a tube as a stethoscope.

Whats a "stethoscope"?

Why use some paper??? just remove the side panel (if it is a desktop) and turn it on and run programs or a game and see where the noise is coming from

If the computer was overheating then the fan (Being controlled by heat sensors) would go nuts and that MAY be the sound you are hearing.