ALC662 Sound Not Working

I have just bought a brand new Biostar G31-M7 TE because our Asus P5LD2-VM always overheats. So far the new Biostar is keeping the CPU around 15Celcius, which I am very happy with. When I first installed the new motherboard the computer would not start up. I soon found out that the ram/cpu combination (533mhz/800mhz) would not work with the mobo's chipset, which was very frustrating. Luckily I had a 256mb stick lying around that worked. So we've gone from 1.5Gb ram to 256mb ram :(.

The problem that I am having right now is that the sound is not working. I have tried installing the driver from the mobo's driver disk and Biostar's support website, but neither works. According to Biostar, the board uses the ALC662 sound controller. The only option for sound controllers in the BIOS is 'Azalia', and it is enabled. I tried using driver agent to see if it could find a driver for me. It tells me that the driver is installed, but the hardware is disconnected. I hope that I am wrong, but this sounds like a bad piece of hardware to me. Or could the audio driver from the old mother board be causing problems. It had an ALC882 audio controller. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Have you also checked Windows Volume Control & Audio Properties before digging deep into the hardware? And the speakers are plugged into the correct output thingy.

BUT Windows performance is going to be detrimentally affected with only 256 MB of RAM, maybe you should think again about that sound hardware...

In my limited experience, motherboards come with their own CD of "utilities", which in most cases includes audio stuff. ALC662 looks to me to be different to ALC882, and herein may lie your problem. But then again I may well not have read/understood your post properly. I suppose, depending on what else is going on at the time, Decandy's comment about your now only having 256 RAM could also take on a serious significance.

here is a list of things to check

1. Check that your cords are plugged in (from computer to speakers)

2. Check that your volume is turned up

3. Check that your speakers are on and plugged in to a working power outlet

4. Check that your drivers are working correctly by going to Start>My computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Sound, Video and game controllers. Then click the most likely one and update the driver.

5. If you dont want to 6-11 can be skipped and go to 12

6. Get a "Static Wristband" (not sure where you can get them) google it

7. Get a screw driver that will open your computer's casing

8. Connect the "Static Wristband" to an electrical ground (google to find what that is)

9. complete step 10-15 ONLY WHEN THE COMPUTER IS OFF, AND THE WRISTBAND IS CONNECTED AND YOUR WEARING IT!!!!!!!!

10. Open the computer with the screw driver and look inside

11. Check if the wires going from the motherboard are connected to the sound card and that the sound card is plugged into the motherboard

12. Take the computer to a computer shop NOT A MANUFACTURER Advertising links deleted - as contrary to Forum Rules

I am sorry, but that is all i know about diagnosing a sound problem :(

The sound card does not show up in device manager. There is no volume control since the device is not recognized, even if I try to add new hardware from the control panel. I've got another gig of ram on its way from newegg.com, but I know that doesn't have anything to do with the sound problem. I've installed a pci sound card temporarily. But, since it is an mATX board, would rather use the onboard sound and use the pci slot for something else.

The sound card does not show up in device manager. There is no volume control since the device is not recognized, even if I try to add new hardware from the control panel. I've got another gig of ram on its way from newegg.com, but I know that doesn't have anything to do with the sound problem. I've installed a pci sound card temporarily. But, since it is an mATX board, would rather use the onboard sound and use the pci slot for something else.

Did you look inside the computer and see if it was plugged in correctly?

If so, than get a can of air (Dust Off) and take the sound card out then spray the air on the socket where it was plugged into wait at LEAST 1 hour then put it back together without the PCI sound card

it should work if dust is the reason it is not working.

It could be a faulty part, or it could have overheated, or any number of things that can ruin a sound card.

I'm sorry my terminology is a mess. The sound device that is having the issue is not actually a "card". It's built into the motherboard. I have installed a separate pci sound card (can't remember the manufacturer) temporarily until I can get the built in device to work. That is IF I can get it to work.