Free AntiVirus Software list

Not a problem as such, I was just looking at my list of currently available AV freebies, a list that is currently much longer than I can ever remember it being :-

avast!

Avira

AVG

Microsoft Security Essentials

Rising

Comodo

PC Tools

Digital Defender

Panda Cloud

Kingsoft Cloud

DriveSentry Desktop

Clamwin

SecureIT Free

EAV antivirus suite

Nano (Beta)

Preventon

Antivirus Docter

Zilya

Returnil

Additional backup security software

Immunet

Clam AV for windows

Threatfire

Not an argument on the merits of any of these or a desire for recommendations just a query. Anybody know of anymore ?

PS I do know about BKAV, but can't find a suitable English language page for the freebie.

PPS anybody want links to any of the above ask and I'll post, just that there's rather a lot of them and I can't be fagged to add that many hyperlinks.

• Upvote 1

I should add that I have only tried about half of them as I have settled on avast! for my desktop and test stuff out on the laptop which is currently running a trial copy of Bullguard. After Panda cloud on my list is unknown territory. Next up for playing with when the trial expires in a couple of months is Preventon.

For info. - Clamwin does not have a "Resident" element - it only scans/checks files on demand.

true, which is one reason I don't use it, but fans may be interested in SecureIT Free Edition which is apparently a project based on the Clam core but developed.

Award winning ClamAV antivirus engine enhanced to provide real-time virus protection with added virus definitions and protection

The Clam team have been promising real time protection for years, looks like somebody got as bored of waiting as I did.

Here's the DriveSentry thread if anybody wants a look, interesting reading.

I was a big fan of Drivesentry until it started messing me around.

Any software that changes its characteristics and m.o. without telling me and without good reason is quickly removed and replaced by something that does at it's told.

• 1 month later...

Repeat of initial post, this time with all the links in.

avast

Avira

AVG

Microsoft Security Essentials

Rising

Comodo

PC Tools

Digital Defender

Panda Cloud

Kingsoft cloud

DriveSentry Desktop

Clamwin

SecureIT Free

EAV antivirus suite

Nano Beta

Preventon

Antivirus Docter

Zilya

Returnil

ZenOK

Additional security software

Immunet

Clam AV for windows

Threatfire

As stated before while these seem reputable I've only used avast!, AVG, Avira, PC Tools, Rising, MSE, Comodo & Panda Cloud. Therefore I pass no comment on how effective or good the others may be, use at your own discretion.

PS AntiVirus Doctor gets a red warning on WOT, but that's down to one unattributed post with no review or comment to justify it. SiteAdvisor reckons the download is clean.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here goes I reported a link to a sight that said it will check your computer for free but the program you would have to pay for, I clicked the link and got a WOT warning so I put a warning on the board not to click the link