Which Free AntiVirus is the best

danishweb

I am not sure whether this question has already been discussed in this forum or not. I am using Avira but the problem is that it is not as effective against virus as it ought to be. I am looking for a free antivirus that can safeguard the interest of my computer from virus attack.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed many time before. It is a matter of opinion, and there are many different answers given by many different people. Personally, it is my belief that free cannot possibly be as good as something for which you pay. My preference for several years has been Eset Nod 32 full security suite. This does not cost the earth, and is worth every penny for the protection that is gives. If you live in the UK then help is available not only by e mail, but by telephone as well, and it is NOT a premium rate call. The one that you are using is some peoples favourite.B)

As well as an anti-virus program, a good stratagem is not to visit sites which are likely to infect your computer. A free program, or even the one included with Windows, should then be able to fulfil your requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the free AV products are slightly cut down versions of commercial products. They loose a few functions you don't really need and get the same AV engine and protection usually only for non profit home users. Everybody else gets to pay for them. So saying that Free AV is in some way generically inferior is a very vague generalisation that doesn't hold water. There are undoubtedly some pay for products like Eset that are better than most of the freebies but on the flip side many of the freebies like avast! are better than most alternatives, no matter how much you spend on them.

• 2 months later...

Check this thread out. Test drive a few. Money back guaranteed. This battle has been going on long enough. It’s time we rise up against these bullies and make them pay! Who’s with me?

Sorry. avast! is one of my favorite anti-virus. It is a large install but can be trimmed to fit fairly easy. No need to have 4 notifications pop up telling you that updates were installed, or that you may need to be reminded that the updates needed conformation, or that the world was going to end if you did not register the product before your next birthday. What the He** is that all about anyway?

Ahhh, I suppose it comes down to what needs to be protected. Keep it safe and between the lines. A decent backup regimen. A quick escape route. Common sense. These virtues will see us through.

MSE is a decent free program as well: My opinion. It has become rather resource hungry since its upgrade. I guess every body wants a piece of the pie….

Toodles :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ur right...avast is the best free avast antivirus..

There is absolutely no way that Avast could not be the best (or even the worst) Avast antivirus :D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Avast antivirus is very nice software and it works very fast than other all but i have heard that faster antivirus are not much secured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DON'T LET THE PAST STEAL YOUR PRESENT.

James John

DON'T LET THE PAST STEAL YOUR PRESENT.

"Careful you must be when sensing the future, James John. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side."

Avast antivirus is very nice software and it works very fast than other all but i have heard that faster antivirus are not much secured.

" Try quote you will, Avast now free one still."

1-yoda.jpg

• Boris locked this topic