Fast freeware site

Anders_86

We went to different schools together to study the finer art of diplomacy. :lol:

Nice little website. I actually prefer a non-alphabetical layout at times it makes one browse longer.

It is a tad harsh on the old eyeballs. Apart from that, it's looking good. Thank you.

John.

I was first a bit suspicious when I first saw your post (why would anybody need yet another download site?).

But when I went to visit your site I noticed that you actually provide links to the original download sites. That is indeed useful.

A few programs / add-ons that you missed, but I have installed on my computers:

Dear Sir,

I read your post and did the following to my site :

Adobe Reader - I link to Foxit Reader instead

Flash Player - there was already a link to it in the Internet Explorer section

* Shockwave Player - I made a link to it in the Internet Explorer section

* Adobe AIR with SDK - I made a new section for them below Qt and Rico

Java JRE & JDK - Jave JRE can be downloaded with OpenOffice and is mentioned in the OO section.

I haven't included a JDK link, the site is low on Java ...

SQL Server Express - It is included in the Visual C++ 2005 Express ISO download

* Paint.NET - I made a link to it in the Pixia section

Waterfox - I wait until I actually have tried it

Thank you for commenting !

Thank you Anders_86.

Pat I wouldn't have had you down for an Adobe Reader fan. (You've obviously got your reasons.)

They seem to spend more time patching the security leaks than anything else with the darn thing.

I have used PDF-XChange free viewer for a long time now, ( http://www.tracker-s...-xchange-viewer ) and NitroPDF for anything more complicated than just reading PDF's.

John.

Adobe Reader vs. alternate PDF viewers - that is a subject that will go on forever...

My reason for sticking with Adobe Reader is simply that it can display and print other Adobe File formats such as .AI (Illustrator) and others. I never had any problems with it; although I know that thousands of others had/have (see http://forums.adobe....ms/adobe_reader).

Alternate PDF viewer do fine in most cases, with the sole exception of Foxit Reader. I have tested that beast when it was first released, and it installed spyware on my computer! In later releases (which I have also tested) the spyware was made optional (you could uncheck it on the installer panel), but it would install it anyway, with no option to uninstall it later, even if you uninstalled the Reader program. In the latest version there is still an option to uncheck it from the installer, but you must additionally click a Decline button to prevent it from installing.

Foxit Reader is the most deceptive program I have encountered in my 40+ years as a systems engineer!

Foxit Reader == Malware!

Dear Abram2456,

as my nickname is "Anders_86" my speciality is not 64-bit softwares. Although I actually possess one 64-bit computer,

so I could in fact try proposed softwares and include them in the list. Sofar, "Waterfox" web browser has been proposed.

(I myself have tried Internet Explorer 64-bit).

Anders_86

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adobe Reader vs. alternate PDF viewers - that is a subject that will go on forever...

My reason for sticking with Adobe Reader is simply that it can display and print other Adobe File formats such as .AI (Illustrator) and others. I never had any problems with it; although I know that thousands of others had/have (see http://forums.adobe....ms/adobe_reader).

Alternate PDF viewer do fine in most cases, with the sole exception of Foxit Reader. I have tested that beast when it was first released, and it installed spyware on my computer! In later releases (which I have also tested) the spyware was made optional (you could uncheck it on the installer panel), but it would install it anyway, with no option to uninstall it later, even if you uninstalled the Reader program. In the latest version there is still an option to uncheck it from the installer, but you must additionally click a Decline button to prevent it from installing.

Foxit Reader is the most deceptive program I have encountered in my 40+ years as a systems engineer!

Foxit Reader == Malware!

Timely to read this Pat since I have adobe on my computer these days and was thinking should go back to Foxit

as had it prior to redoing the computer after saving data because it was playing up all the time and could not

find which program was the gremlin. Adobe seems to be a bit slow at times after Foxit but it was with the package from

when Dell loaded it new and on the recovery disc. guess stick with Adobe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lamb Chop,

There are other alternate PDF viewers available that are not as heavy as Adobe Reader, and not as deceptive as Foxit:

Very timely as Adobe just stopped responding again - so will try the new one you suggest Pat.

:D

This has been happening frequently for some reason. And when it updates causes a bit of havoc.

Maybe why I keep finding when I boot up my theme has changed and also gone back to Windows XP screen saver too.

Usually just use Windows Classic normal with Lilac or Slate for colour - used slate for a while then change back Lilac.

• 1 month later...

Dear Robert Winchell,

the purpose of my site is to link to essential software of all categories, also technical, on a single page. Also, the best/free-est software is already selected so you don't have to download several alternatives and try out. FileHippo is a good download site, but it doesn't give nearly the same overview as my site.

http://freedownloads.eu5.org/

/Anders_86