Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MANEMAN

Microsoft pulls Patch Tuesday security fix

Update on this post:

Since posting I have had two telephone calls from (Not my usual customers) people saying that their Windows 7 is reporting "Not Activated". It would seem that the rogue update "security update 2823324" Is affecting computers in many different ways.

John.

Just like the old days - when I would give Windows updates at least to weeks to sort themselves out and settle down before installing.

Yep ! It's a hard call.

As a Service Tech do you advise people to turn off automatic updates or not ?

Statistically Microsoft, and a lot of the AV people more than often get it right than wrong.

But when from time-to-time they get it wrong, because they are 'Huge', it goes global, and then the S*** hits the fan bigtime with massive headlines.

,=,=,=,=,,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=,=

Best advice from a loudmouth ?

Anything that says it is going to do things automatically for your computer. - Turn it off ! - Like ! - Now ! :D

Thanks go to Microsoft for 3 new customers and the money to buy enough Dawg Food for yet another month.

Windows Update always creates a System Restore Point before proceeding, so there is nothing really difficult to remove faulty updates.

No problem on my Windows 7 system, it just runs fine.

Have tried system restore on one persons computer so far. - It didn't work. Removed the patch manually - It didn't work. Tried to repair with disk at command line level - didnt work.

Eventually had to go through the activation process by phone with Microsoft.

One of the others said not activated, and then started to bluescreen with constant reboot immediately after the updates were installed. Explaining to this particular person by phone how to do a system restore when dealing with a bluescreen hasn't brought me great joy so far. :lol: I'll just drive down there and try to fix it on site if possible.

The third one is a laptop that they will drop in to me. In this particular persons case, three computers in the home all running W7. All three received the latest updates. Only this laptop is showing as "Windows not Activated".

It's far safer like pops has said to turn automatic updates off and wait a week or two to see what floats to the surface. :(

It would seem from global feedback that this has perhaps gone just a tad further than doing a simple system restore. 001greenman.gif

"One of Patch Tuesday's security updates has been removed after Microsoft found that it can cause errors when paired with certain third-party software."

"The problem is mostly confined to users in Brazil that have the banking security plugin 'G-Buster' installed." (You know Brazil ? - Just up a bit from Cornwall.)

"The buggy patch causes, among other headaches, Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Windows to display a message claiming its user licence is invalid, implying that the PC is unprotected from malware nasties. Other reports suggest that some machines have been thrown into a continuous reboot cycle."

Some users who experienced problems described how they saw fatal system errors like the following:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has shutdown.

Well, all the more reason for a full system backup - before you try to install updates. A system restore is not good enough. Actually, I find that SR gives a totally false sense of security and I would never rely on it alone.

Microsoft stepped in and saved the day ! - After I had fixed five computers !

If there is anyone else with the "Bad Patch" problem, all you have to do is download "something" as an ISO, burn it to a disk and then run it. ............. Well it isn't quite as simple as that. - Read on. :)

The tool does have a few caveats, however. Microsoft says it will not run on older, pre-2004 hardware that doesn't support Never eXecute (NX) technology. It also only works on 32-bit Windows 7 installations – not on Windows Server 2008 R2, and not on 64-bit Windows 7 installations, which doubtless excludes many.

What's more, the recovery disk won't work on drives that have been encrypted using Bitlocker, because someone booting from a rescue disk and rummaging through the files on your drive is exactly the sort of thing Bitlocker is designed to prevent.

Finally, Redmond recommends you only use this tool if you absolutely have to.

If you are an old lady living on your own with just a cat for company and you are not at all sure about computers, and have faithfully set updates to "Automatic" you can download the fix as an ISO here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38435