How to get a sata hard drive connected to a usb port?

I have a sata 3.5” internal hard drive, on which I created one extended partition. In order, it contained a 1.7Gb Linux swap partition, 3 ext3 partitions for 3 linux operating systems and another ext3 partition for my data. Later I removed the first 2 linux partitions, filling their place with a new linux system. I then tried to burn a 1.7Gb iso file to my USB stick. However, it wrote the contents to that hard drive.

I don't know if the original swap partition was bigger than the contents of the burned iso file.

I connected the drive to my Vista 32bit netbook via a usb port. The Disk Management software listed it as 'not initialzed'. Right-clicking it I tried to initialize it but it says the drive's not ready.

I don't entirely understand... You have a hard drive which you divided into four partitions, three of which running a Linux OS and one for your data. You then removed the first two partitions and Linux OSes in favour of another Linux. You then proceeded to burn something the size of 1.7 gig to the USB, however, writing it to the drive instead?

I would suggest providing us with a reply quoting the response from fdisk. fdisk requires sudo to run but it'll show us all of your device blocks and you can try to explain your problem another time, hopefully more clearly.

What tool, if any, did you use to write your iso to a USB?

Which Linux OS did you try to write?

Which ISO file of this newer Linux did you attempt to use?

Which drive, or block device, from fdisk please, did you apparently write your ISO to?

Currently unetbootin is bugged, giving all sorts of errors to the user and in its functionality thanks to UEFI. Debian have even gone as far to consider removing it from their repos. Though, you may have used something like dd instead?

As for the hard drive, Windows will not detect any filesystems except FAT, HPFS and NTFS. This means that if your now-external drive is running ext3 Windows will say no.

In this scenario, you've no need for a swap partition. Ignore it for the time being.