Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Irene

When I first booted up this morning, a Windows notification link appeared in the bottom right area of my screen.

Has anyone else noticed it? What do you think? Have you reserved yours?

Reserve%20Windows%2010%20Free%20Upgrade_

Windows 10 is coming on 29 July 2015.

Reserved my first one today (Win 7 HP 32bit OEM) - only another 6 to think about :)

I'll see how the first one progresses before I finally decide, but I shall probably keep a couple of machines with Win 7 HP 64bit Retail on Win 7, and I think all the Win 7 OEM machines will be upgrading ?

Currently on the Mint machine so I've seen nothing, I'll check it out when I boot the laptop. Word of mouth on the pre-release of 10 is good, but I think I'll hold fire until I've tried it out. I'm still not a fan of 8.1 but I've got it to do pretty much what I want and I would like to be sure before committing.

I've now got 2 machines running Win 10 Pro Insider Preview - one an ancient beast (Intel 775 dual-core E4500 + 2GB PC5300) which runs it OK, the other is a more modern LGA1155 Pentium G840 + 4GB PC3-10600 which runs it well. Both installed and updated with no problems and everything I've installed has worked.

I decided that it was pointless to test Win 10 on a virtual machine, and proper testing on actual hardware would be far more meaningful.

The only big question I can see with the upgrade is whether

a] the 3GB update will automatically download as the Guide says, or

b] if you have Windows Update set to "Check for updates but let me choose when to install" that it complies with this.

Here is a link to a useful list of Windows 10 upgrade Questions & Answers:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_ReserveConf_win10faq

For each answer, 'click' into the + sign at the end of the bar containing a question.

ALSO: Good tip here from Boris (post #3) in another thread:

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php/topic/52694-preparation-for-windows-10/?p=364717

My desktop computer displayed the update link this morning - but neither of of our Windows 8.1 laptops display the link despite being set to auto update and are bang up-to-date.

I have registered for the update - but cannot get rid of the link in the notification area

I have registered for the update - but cannot get rid of the link in the notification area

If you right-click the Start Button and select Properties, it opens this dialogue box:

post-5852-0-70723300-1433232672_thumb.jp Now select Customise in the Notification area, which will open the following:

post-5852-0-47247200-1433232704_thumb.jp You can now use the drop-down box for the 'GWX Get Windows 10' icon, to show or hide etc... :)

The Features Windows 10 will remove - when you upgrade

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3881/here-are-the-features-windows-10-will-remove-when-you-upgrade

Most worrying thing to me is :-

In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically.

I have a desktop running 7 and a laptop running 8.1.

But have not yet received any icons about the free upgrade.

They probably want to get the non-fibre users dealt with first before those who will get the 3GB upgrade downloaded in the blink of an eyeball ? :rolleyes:

In previous Windows versions, you could control how updates were installed. But those with Windows 10 Home will have updates from Windows Update made available automatically.

That is a Good Thing! Other softwares (e.g. Acrobat Reader DC) are also going in that same direction. It eliminates idiot users' decisions not not install updates.

Do I detect a hint of jealousy. :P :D :rofl::yahoo:

They probably want to get the non-fibre users dealt with first before those who will get the 3GB upgrade downloaded in the blink of an eyeball ? :rolleyes:

Do I detect a hint of jealousy. :P :D :rofl::yahoo:

Not in the slightest :lol:

That is a Good Thing! Other softwares (e.g. Acrobat Reader DC) are also going in that same direction. It eliminates idiot users' decisions not not install updates.

Automatic installation is good in concept, but unfortunately Microsoft do have a history of issuing fixes/updates which have totally screwed up some users machines.

Irene

Thanks for the reminder. With my computer which uses Start8 as a Windows 7 front end, right clicking on the start button does not provide the notication area options. I have to right click within the notification area. The Win10 iconhas now been hidden..

Regarding our laptops - they both now show the Win10 upgrade link. They must have been well down the queue at Microsoft.

Regarding the concern about automatic instal of Win10 - the confirmation Email from Microsoft states :-

Because you've reserved, Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you'll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately - or schedule a time to install that's convenient for you.

Because you’ve reserved, Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you. If you have any more questions, check out the upgrade FAQ.

Because you’ve reserved, Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you. If you have any more questions, check out the upgrade FAQ.

• 1 month later...

What kind of downloads - from Windows Update?

Yes, from Windows Update. The download icon was present in the notification area, showing the percentage progress when the curser was hovered over it. The 'download' took a considerable time. However, when it was complete, I checked in the Windows Update, but nothing was apparent.

Oh well, time will tell.

I am now about to perform a backup to an external Iomega hard disk. I'll report back as things happen. :unsure:

• Like 1

• Irene featured this topic
  • Irene unfeatured this topic
  • Irene locked this topic