Welcome

Craig

Evening,

Following on from a failed attempt made earlier today, Windows Forum has now successfully moved to a new Virtual Private Server.

The forum now has a dedicated set of resources, and the backend server is fully managed by myself.

Along with the move, I have reintroduced SSL and dropped the "forum" sub domain. These two items are both a sign of times, enabling security and bringing clarity to the domain you are visiting.

I have an outstanding task to resolve search results which are landing at broken links under the new domain, this should be resolved shortly.

Next up, the forum software upgrade.

Craig

The forum looks good - but it still does not function with the new EDGE browser properly - especially with entering more than one smilie on a line :ranting:

Whether this is the fault of the browser or the forum software I am not competent to say - but with it not functioning with Win10 IE11 either - my choice of browser is limited to those I don't like using.

Is it possible that an upgrade so that it is compatible with the new browsers is on the cards? :unsure:

I still cannot see how to add smilies from an I pad.

Checked this with Invision, the software "doesn't support" these features on iPad. Technically the features are supported, however Invision disabled it in code due to user experience issues. Apparently the GUI would become laggy and unresponsive, text selection would be troublesome etc.

However the new version does fully support iPad. We shall see this soon on Windows Forum.

Craig

Unless I have missed something, I have found a problem on the top toolbar above the reply editor:-

The four icons for 'Copy', 'Paste', 'Paste as plain text' and 'Paste from Word', are greyed-out and inaccessible.

Could you check it out please?

Now I am trying Firefox and Windows 10 on my HP laptop.

...they are still greyed out. :(

Hmmm interesting...

When I changed from quick reply to full editor, the three 'paste' links came alive!

Also, a banner appeared below the ribbon stating: "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin 'Adobe Flash' from running on www.windowsforum.org." "Continue Blocking" "Allow"

Flash has not been updated recently because I don't use the laptop very much.

This suggests to me that it's likely that the problem lies with Adobe Flash plugin.

I have currently have version 16,0,0,226 installed, whereas the latest is 16,0,0,305.

So, the question is: Do I update it or not?

Ooops, just noticed that the "Attach Files" link is also blanked out!! Grrrrr

I've just tried it again on the ancient rig called "WYTH" in my sig - that one is using Vista 32bit + Pale Moon 25.7.3 (which is a Firefox derivative) and it all works OK.

I can't try any of my other rigs - as I'm down at my daughters for a few days and it is the only working machine here (whilst I fix their own PC).

The forums has been upgraded!

A number of background tasks are running now, mostly cache related, so this will fix a number of broken images you see at the moment.

The only casualty I have identified so far are the Emoticons, they have gone entirely!  I will need to go source some new ones... 

7 minutes ago, Irene said:

The first problem which may be off-putting to members is that they are required to use their 'Display Name' rather than their old 'login name'.   :( 

No obvious way to change this.  I'll keep searching.

18 minutes ago, Irene said:

Could 'bulk' email members? 

Also, no panel to show who is in-line etc., eetc.

I've altered it so users can login with either their display name, or email address.  No longer appears to be an option for username.

The list of unread posts is inadequate and when I hit the "show more" button I get a message that says there are no more unread topics. But in reality there are many topics not listed that I have not read.

I used to log on, then click onto unread posts, and get a list on the page of  about 25 posts I had not read - especially useful if you do the dozen puzzles each day. Now I cannot - they don't show in the list.:ranting:

I have found that I have to go through the following palaver each time I log on :-

In the Unread Content window click on "Edit this stream"

A window opens

Change or ensure that the following settings are selected \;-

• Read status - Everything
  • Follow status - Everything
  • Time period - Anytime

Click on "Update results"

Click on "Unread contents" again

You then get a list of recent posts similar to the previous system

However - these settings are not retained and I have to go through the same procedure every time I log on.

In the settings window there is the provision to save this stream - I have enterd a stream name and saved it but cannot find a way of selecting it the next time I log on.

There must be another way - but it seems to be well hidden.

15 hours ago, Craig said:

I've altered it so users can login with either their display name, or email address.  No longer appears to be an option for username.

Thanks Craig. 

Also:  There doesn't appear to be any preview available when posting?

And:   The formatting bar of the posting box has size and colour availble for fonts, but no alternative fonts? 

18 hours ago, Craig said:

The only casualty I have identified so far are the Emoticons, they have gone entirely!  I will need to go source some new ones... 

I am now accessing WF on my iPad - look what I can now do...

:kiss2::clapping::devil::unknw:

They are all available on here!!  :smile: