Sudden "This copy of Windows is not genuine"

gran25or

Recent Windows update messed things up royally. Booted up to find a black screen with a box that said my Windows 7 might be counterfeit.  After several years using the same computer?  Have done many searches on the web and found out that many people got the same thing from Tuesday night's update.  According to InfoWorld it is the KB3004394 that caused this issue.  I cannot find that anywhere on my computer although it does say it is up-to-date.  Does anyone have a fix for this?  Was starting to think it was because I hid the notification box for the Windows 10 upgrade nag. 

Hasn't helped.  Downloaded the one for the 64-bit machine, installed, and then rebooted 3 times.  Came back and snagged the one for the x86 and downloaded it, installed and rebooted.  Nothing different.   Most frustrating time I've ever had with a computer because you can't even find these in your system after you downloaded so you can't swear that they are even there.  Thanks for trying to help though.  I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Could be what you have done to hide the W10 nag maybe.  I had no end of problems with my W7 SP 1 due to the forced try via dodgy updates saying for W7 8 etc but actually part of invading W10 to facilitate downloading it by stealth.

I found a helper here and with his program have never looked back - passed it onto quite a few others determinded to stic with what they want and not be forced to have something didnt ask for or need just because free and why - has to be a return greater than the loss of the millions of $190 or whatever it would retail at if sold IMHO - being cynical in this greed driven world.

Link here. 

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Peace of mind. And now I check every single new update by going to M$ and if looks dodgy hide it and then run GWX to see so far no sign of one so decisions like last month left off first optional and earlier even some important and critical were actually W10. Or part thereof.