Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
andsome

Running peripherals from USB

I can't use my old scanner on Windows 10 on my new computer, so have been looking at new ones. I have seen one that is priced right and seems just the job.  However, it is advertised as needing no mains lead or transformer, and is powered by USB alone.  Any views please?

Typically charging or powering a device from USB is safe and is now a norm for many things (phones and tablets, for instance, don't need a battery inserted for them to power on and run), if that's your concern.

The DPI and all other specs look rather good for a good quality print so if that's the one you have your eyes on and can't find one just as good for less anywhere else, you can't go wrong with this one.

Reviews also look good but if you're really in need of advice before you buy other websites will have written a professional tech review as they usually do for new hardware. 

I have a number of USB powered devices and I find them excellent provided that they are connected by a separate powered USB hub. I have noted that on one machine in particular (a laptop) that connecting multiple USB devices directly to the computer causes it to go into a sulk.

I use a hub that also offers a 2 Amp and a 1.1 Amp charging point as well as a number of USB3 connections - there are plenty of these available on Amazon.

My new computer has several USB ports of course. The scanner I am looking at connects via a micro USB,so I would need an adaptor to plug straight into the back of the computer. Everything else that  I have connected has its own power plug. This would be the only thing actually drawing power via USB. Should this in your opinion be ok,or should I opt for one with a power plug?

46 minutes ago, Hb_Kai said:

Typically charging or powering a device from USB is safe and is now a norm for many things (phones and tablets, for instance, don't need a battery inserted for them to power on and run), if that's your concern.

The DPI and all other specs look rather good for a good quality print so if that's the one you have your eyes on and can't find one just as good for less anywhere else, you can't go wrong with this one.

Reviews also look good but if you're really in need of advice before you buy other websites will have written a professional tech review as they usually do for new hardware. 

Many thanks for the reply

One thing that has not been mentioned is your power pack.  Most computers these days are made down to a price and so it is worth having a look how many spare amps you have.

I think you would be better to buy a combination Printer scanner. They are reliable, robust, quite fast and may be less costly than 70 quid.

I have an Epson XP 425 I am very happy with.

The problem with that is that my old printer is still very good, and I still have seven replacement inks for it.  It is an Epson Stylus Photo R340. I am reluctant to ditch it, my point being that I can't imagine a printer scanner having such good printing qualities as my old one without paying a hefty price.

I have several USB powered items:- scanner, optical drive (read/write), several external hard drives, Wacom pad. My main computer now is a Shuttle fanless micro type with a limited number of USB3 ports also, laptops have a limited number of USB ports so, if I want to use all my peripherals simultaneously on one machine a powered hub is necessary.

I know USB ports are suppose to deliver 500mA each but I've found that to be rather optimistic and it does put a strain on the PSU if numerous ports are being used.

54 minutes ago, Boris said:

The printer automatically worked OK when the computer was delivered having picked up drivers itself.  I was not happy however, as there was no maintenance facilities, print preview etc., so I visited Epsons website and downloaded their drivers, and everything is back to normal.  It must be that driver that I now have installed.  Nothing is available however for the very old scanner, this is why I need a new one. There are several similar priced scanners on Epsons website, and this is the only one offering USB connection without a mains plug.  I may well have one of the others to avoid any potential for problems.  Everything else connected requires mains, including two plug in hard drives, and the printer and monitor.

I will make my mind up tomorrow and will almost certainly opt for the one I mentioned on here,with no mains power. At present,I have several things connected to USB,but all need mains power to work,so there would be little drain on the system. The only thing not drawing mains power is the mouse,and that is battery powered.

I have a Canonscan LiDE 90 that is 7 years old, it is USB powered and still works as well as the day I purchased it.

It has worked with Win 7, 8.1, Win 10 and various Linux distros and never a problem.

Even though the software disk that was suppled with it is for Win 7, it still works on Win 10 with no problems on a USB 2 or 3 connection.

This one is £20 cheaper andsome.

http://www.ebuyer.com/662469-canon-canoscan-lide-220-flatbed-scanner-9623b010?mkwid=s9zTMkluV_dc&pcrid=51482414939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt-G8BRDktsvwpPTn1PkBEiQA-MRsBaAgwOTW3zf69fzhZYT5nD0eUvnrK3gmUXU24Yhp6a4aAqPj8P8HAQ&reevoo_page=2#reevoo_embedded_reviews

My Epson V39 Perfection has arrived.  It was simple enough to set up and I have scanned a couple of things as a test, the results are excellent.  There is quite a bit to learn and I will need to practice with it.  One thing puzzles me however.  As stated there is no manls lead, it runs from USB, on the box was a warning to take care not to damage the package, as it contains a lithium Ion battery.  There is no information regarding this in the manual, what on earth can it be for?  Any ideas?

The lithium ion re-chargeable battery is actually powering the scanner via the USB connection :smile:

They can be dangerous under some conditions and can pose a safety hazard since they contain, unlike other rechargeable batteries, a flammable electrolyte and are also kept pressurized.

39 minutes ago, Boris said:

The lithium ion re-chargeable battery is actually powering the scanner via the USB connection :smile:

They can be dangerous under some conditions and can pose a safety hazard since they contain, unlike other rechargeable batteries, a flammable electrolyte and are also kept pressurized.

So should I leave it on to keep it charged,or unplug it when it is not in use?

Presumably,  you have a smart phone ?   That is almost certainly lithium ion powered too.

The "danger" see http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/01/economist-explains-19 occurs if you somehow manage to physically damage the actual battery or e.g. throw it into a fire.

On 7/26/2016 at 2:31 PM, andsome said:

I can't use my old scanner  Nox Vidmate VLC on Windows 10 on my new computer, so have been looking at new ones. I have seen one that is priced right and seems just the job.  However, it is advertised as needing no mains lead or transformer, and is powered by USB alone.  Any views please?

if I want to use all my peripherals simultaneously on one machine a powered hub is necessary.