Windows 10 mail program

Windows 10 mail program is a waste of space. There is no way to make a contacts list and select a contact from there. There is no way to change how mail is displayed, ascending or descending order. I have always been a fan of Windows live mail, but this is unreliable in Windows 10, occasionally causing the browser to freeze when clicking on a link. It is a retrograde step, altogether a waste of space. Suggestions would be much appreciated for a Windows 10 compatible mail program please.

I have used Microsoft Office for many years and currently have Office 2016 - hence I use Outlook for my Email, calendar etc which connects to my Microsoft Lumia phone and keeps both address and calendar lists up to date.

A few months ago I set up a new Windows 10 laptop for my 88 year old neighbour and installed MS Live Mail for him. He was previously using Outlook Express.

I was able to set up his list of Contacts which serves as an address book without too much difficulty - aided and abetted by Doc Google of course because I am not familiar with MS Mail.  He is using his computer without problems and it isn't freezing.

50 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

I have used Microsoft Office for many years and currently have Office 2016 - hence I use Outlook for my Email, calendar etc which connects to my Microsoft Lumia phone and keeps both address and calendar lists up to date.

A few months ago I set up a new Windows 10 laptop for my 88 year old neighbour and installed MS Live Mail for him. He was previously using Outlook Express.

I was able to set up his list of Contacts which serves as an address book without too much difficulty - aided and abetted by Doc Google of course because I am not familiar with MS Mail.  He is using his computer without problems and it isn't freezing.

I do have an Outlook account, it was formerly called Hotmail, is this what you mean?  If so, I use a different account address for that, I want to stick with my NTL World address, is MS Office/Outlook different to Hotmail?

It is still being regularly updated :smile:.   https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/45.2.0/releasenotes/

My wife uses the Pale Moon based Fosssa Mail https://www.fossamail.org/

You may also wish to read this recent article ?

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/windows-7-email-5-best-free-clients-903699

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Nearly all email clients have a Contacts/Address Book feature

Unfortunately not Windows 10 mail, that's why I consider it to be so crap. What do M S expect you to do, keep a list of e mail contacts on your desk, and type them in as required?

27 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

There's quite a few options on the Snapfiles E-mail freeware page have a browse

Click Here

O M G, what a list,do you have any particular recommendations? I didn't know so many existed, a Google search did not bring all those up.

Well I'm using Thunderbird, largely as it comes pre-packed with Linux and I've worked out how to get it to work the way I want.

Of the others Sylpheed, Pegasus & Opera have been around for quite some time and all have 2016 updates so haven't been orphaned. Eudora has been around for a while but looks as if updates have ceased.  

Outlook as part of the Office suite is not a web based Email programme like outlook.com.

It is a stand-alone and fully featured Email programme that is virtually the standard for business use. 

Microsoft cause huge confusion with the naming of their programmes - we have Outlook v Outlook.com and Windows Mail v Windows Live Mail.

I still assert that Windows Mail and Live Mail can and do store your contacts - similar to the previous and obsolete Outlook Express.

Thunderbird was easy enough to set up. Couldn't immediately find a way of importing addresses from Windows live mail. So I have already copied and pasted half of them in. Have sent Alan Ho an e mail as a test. Closed down computer now and am just sending this from my I pad

1 hour ago, AlanHo said:

Outlook as part of the Office suite is not a web based Email programme like outlook.com.

It is a stand-alone and fully featured Email programme that is virtually the standard for business use. 

Microsoft cause huge confusion with the naming of their programmes - we have Outlook v Outlook.com and Windows Mail v Windows Live Mail.

I still assert that Windows Mail and Live Mail can and do store your contacts - similar to the previous and obsolete Outlook Express.

Windows live mail does,and I have been happy with it up I until now. The new mail program in Windows ten however doesn't. The help page 

contains hundreds of complaints about it,but Microsoft seem to pay no heed.

2 hours ago, andsome said:

Thunderbird was easy enough to set up. Couldn't immediately find a way of importing addresses from Windows live mail. So I have already copied and pasted half of them in. Have sent Alan Ho an e mail as a test. Closed down computer now and am just sending this from my I pad

From Windows Live Mail, you can just export your contacts to a .csv file, then import that file into Thunderbird using the Tools> Import feature.

You can transfer all your address book from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird. But it a touch fiddly.

Export your address book from Live Mail in csv format to a folder on your computer.

Open this csv file using Excel or a compatible spreadsheet.

Now change the column titles to match the column headings used by Thunderbird. The first two columns must be the first name and second name.  This is important - the import into Thunderbird will fail if the column headings are different.

Save the amended file in csv format and import it into Thunderbird.

So far I am well pleased with Thunderbug.  I have it set more or less exactly as I want. When I click on links in messages  the computer no longer freezes as it did with Windows live mail once I had the anniversary update.  I now have IE and Thunderbug set up as default programs, and Edge is now confined to the side-lines. Thanks folks for all the help.