Moz Back Up

Monthly I use this to take copy of Firefox & Thunderbird.

Today tried to use the copy of Firefox from my external drive but can't find how to read it.

Also clicked on the "Moz Backup" icon to "Restore a profile", got message that Firefox is running, close down, but it was not running.

Any help will help

Thanks

13 hours ago, johnoo said:

Monthly I use this to take copy of Firefox & Thunderbird.

Today tried to use the copy of Firefox from my external drive but can't find how to read it.

If you are having problems restoring a ".pcv" backup file that you created with MozBackup and nothing seems to work, keep in mind that the ".pcv" file is actually a normal ".zip" file.

1. Rename the backup file from "*.pcv" to "*.zip".
  2. Extract (unzip) the ".zip" file into a convenient location. If you look inside the unzipped folder you will see your mail folders, address books and the other files that make up your profile folder.
  3. Manually restore/migrate this unzipped profile folder as described here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

57 minutes ago, Boris said:

If you are having problems restoring a ".pcv" backup file that you created with MozBackup and nothing seems to work, keep in mind that the ".pcv" file is actually a normal ".zip" file.

1. Rename the backup file from "*.pcv" to "*.zip".
  2. Extract (unzip) the ".zip" file into a convenient location. If you look inside the unzipped folder you will see your mail folders, address books and the other files that make up your profile folder.
  3. Manually restore/migrate this unzipped profile folder as described here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

Boris,

Many thanks, I've noted the procedure & will try out

Thanks

I also use Firefox to back up Thunderbird and it to an ext HD.  I put problem I also get, or got, Firefox is running all the time, down to having Waterfox as well so uninstalled Water Fox as seems have to have both for program bits. And FF itself is fast enough. That cured it.

Mozback up is a great program - he gives the code  on the link supplied above, and suspect he would not mind if someone did a bit of a tune up to use it on latest versions of both Thunderbird and Firefox. Which I also use. Both are best.

Shame Firefox group simply have started to dictate how we use it taking away our choice on Java latest. They cant let us decide if we have java or disable it etc along with other things we once chose for ourselves.

Seems to be infested with Lefties. You know how they are - decide this is good or bad and then also decide that we are too stupid to make the choice so make it for us. Too much of that these days.  Guess those of you in UK here most would have voted to exit EU. Got stitched up as joined the Common Market not the EU but somehow Labor most likely joined you up quietly. They being infested with Lefties like EU UN Hague and most other bureaucratizes- BBC did admit it. Like our ABC which is still biased along with most media. 

But also have found a new browser called Vivaldi, neat little and fast for 64 bit W7 Desk top and its based on Chrome- Google so likely also spies on you but for shopping etc where Firefox lets you down, its great as get the complete description of goods and price whereas FF overlays it and often is illegible.  It will bring forward all your bookmarks etc off of FF too.

• 1 year later...

Moz Backup is still available.

MozBackup 1.5.2 Beta 1 was the last version produced, with bug fixes and works on Win 10.  I use it myself.

It is still obtainable from http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/files/1.5.2-beta/MozBackup-1.5.2-beta1-EN.zip

Alternatively you can use KLS Mail Backup (free for personal use) - which I also use.

Latest version: 4.0.0.8 -  http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/index.php