Task Manager Memory Usage High?

johnoo

I have a Lenovo Think Centre Edge 72 Computer with 4GB of RAM.

I am running Windows 10 Anniversary edition & I use Firefox as a web browser.

Looking at the "Task Manager" in the "Process" section it shows 90% of Memory being used.

If I look at this within the "Performance" section of the Task manager it shows approx. 3.4GB in use.

Is this a normal type % of usage or have I a problem?

This PC runs Win 10 Home 64bit quite happily with 4gb installed - only 1.5GB actually used as I write this.

Capture.JPG

Your 3.4GB seems a tad excessive, but it depends what the various running processes are and what they are doing.

10 hours ago, Boris said:

This PC runs Win 10 Home 64bit quite happily with 4gb installed - only 1.5GB actually used as I write this.

Capture.JPG

Your 3.4GB seems a tad excessive, but it depends what the various running processes are and what they are doing.

Just looked at Memory within the Task Manager, & without the F/Fox Browser running the usage is stable at 2.5GB.

In the background I have the following running

Rapport 73mb

AVG 40mb

Rapport, again 24mb

M/Soft Windows 26mb

Service Host local, don't know what this is 64mb

Dropbox 20mb

Can't see that these add to the 2.5gb to make the 3.4gb that I noted yesterday.

Bit confused by these figures.

Any comments please?

Can't get my "Memory" listing to print out, think it's because I'm using Open Office.

But the general TOP  headings are:-

Total Usage 80%

Top usages in Mb's

Service Host Local System 62.5 mb

AVG Ident Protect 47.7

Service host local 35.1

Cannon Solution Menu 33.3

Rapport Service 32.1

Dropbox 31.1

M. Soft Windows 30.6

Windows Explorer 30.1

If I start up Firefox, which I generally use the total Memory usage goes up to 90%

Can't understand why figures are so high?

Also why is the usage running at 3.2GB when the items listed above are in Mega bytes?

I am satisfied with the speed/operation of the Machine but are there any implications of having a high Memory usage?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I have 4Gb of RAM using W10, have now corrected my profile.

By what I have read tonight, to answer my own question, Windows now works by utilizing as much Memory as possible, rather than leaving it idle, & hence speeds up processes.

Hope this is true!

PS Would love to know what these are:-

Service Host Local System 62.5 mb

Try Process Explorer  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx 

It is a freeware task manager and system monitor for Windows created by Sysinternals, which has been acquired by Microsoft.

It provides the functionality of Windows Task Manager together with other features for collecting information about processes running on the user's system

10 hours ago, Boris said:

Try Process Explorer  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx 

It is a freeware task manager and system monitor for Windows created by Sysinternals, which has been acquired by Microsoft.

It provides the functionality of Windows Task Manager together with other features for collecting information about processes running on the user's system

Boris,

Thanks I'll try it later today.

10 hours ago, johnoo said:

Boris,

Thanks I'll try it later today.

Have now looked at it, & it's a bit complicated for me.

But, never fear, the man next door is interested so I've sent the details to him.

Which I think proves what the internet is about!

Good old Tim!

• 3 months later...