What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Monday is always a 'what's left' day, so it will be:

Chunky Actifry Chips; Some of the leftover Chicken from yesterday's roast; Petit Pois; mine will be accompanied by Homemade Damson Chutney; DH's will be with a small portion of rice and Curry Sauce; plus both will have a share of a slice of Meatloaf preserved from last week.  

Fish pie and green beans. The fish pie is made from Waitrose fish pie mix (salmon, cod and smoked haddock) cooked in a bechamel sauce topped with potato and grated cheese. There are a few tomatoes lurking in the fridge, they can go on the top.

Waitrose ranch steak with chunky chips and veggies.

We were going to eat out but discovered that there appear to be two types of hostelry in the area: 

1. Those that did not clear the snow from the car-park. These have plenty of seats.
  2. Those that did clear their car-parks. These are full.

As mum isn't as steady on her feet as she was, chances of my pulling in to type 1 establishment, slightly below zero. Type 2 would have got the nod but as  I said they seem to have picked up all the trade from the Type 1s. All of this would you have assumed been glaringly obvious as most of the weekday lunch crowd are shall we say at the more mature end of the age spectrum, present them with a surface that's a cross between an ice rink and the snowboard moguls and their considered response is " sod this for a game of soldiers I'm off." 

So we postponed it, hopefully a couple more days will melt the slush.

We're having a dish which I invented when I was an impoverished student. It's been modified a bit but still basically the same idea. It's a lamb stirfry (I call it that now, stirfry was an unheard of term in those days - or, perhaps, I invented it!)

I don't think it's interesting enough to put in the Recipes section. Here goes:

About 6oz of lamb pieces or lamb mince

1 onion

2 portions of cooked rice

1 small tin of mixed vegetables

1 Oxo cube (originally it was a "red" Oxo, the lamb ones weren't around then)

A little fat for frying.

1 teaspoon of mint sauce/jelly

Salt & pepper

Fry the onion and lamb pieces/mince until browned. Add the cooked rice, the crumbled Oxo and a little bit of water to moisten. Mix well over fairly strong heat, add the mixed veg and the mint, heat to warm through and serve.

Having failed to find a hostelry that passed my somewhat arbitrary safety parameters on Wednesday we had another go, still proving difficult as the snow in uncleared car-parks has clearly been well compacted and is proving resilient. I however persisted and thought, been a while since we went to the Masons arms . Not my favourite but the car park was clear they had space and the pensioners deal is pretty good so we went in and as it's Friday had fishnchips.

3 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

M & S Butter chicken & Mushroom rice, oh the horror I'm contemplating the preparation and the hours of cooking. Remove cardboard pierce lid and microwave put on warm plate. Now that's proper gastronomy ! 

M&S sell some very good prepared meals.  I frequently buy them, especially when the deal '2-Dine-in-for-£10'  is on.  

Particularly handy on a day when you don't feel like a long dinner preparation.   :xwink: