What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

24 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Cod Mornay with mashed root vegetables and green beans.

The mashed roots are potato, swede and parsnip with some chopped spring onions stirred in.

Very creative, -pops-.  Tastes good too, I’ll wager. :wink:

1 hour ago, Irene said:

Very creative, -pops-.  Tastes good too, I’ll wager. :wink:

It certainly does taste good and it's very simple, too

Poach the cod in milk to which has been added salt & pepper and some chopped parsley. Lift out the fish and thicken the remaining milk with cornflour and a knob of butter. Pour over the fish and top with grated good Cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until browned on top.

The mash is made by boiling swede and parsnip then mashing with potato that's been cooked in the microwave. I do potato this way to prevent the mash becoming waterlogged by excess liquid from the swede and parsnip. The mix is finished off with S&P, chopped spring onion, butter and milk (if necessary).

7 minutes ago, -pops- said:

It certainly does taste good and it's very simple, too

Poach the cod in milk to which has been added salt & pepper and some chopped parsley. Lift out the fish and thicken the remaining milk with cornflour and a knob of butter. Pour over the fish and top with grated good Cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake until browned on top.

The mash is made by boiling swede and parsnip then mashing with potato that's been cooked in the microwave. I do potato this way to prevent the mash becoming waterlogged by excess liquid from the swede and parsnip. The mix is finished off with S&P, chopped spring onion, butter and milk (if necessary).

This recipe is well worthy of being added to the Recipes Section!

*What sort of comparative quantities do you use of the separate ingredients of the mash?

15 minutes ago, Irene said:

This recipe is well worthy of being added to the Recipes Section!

*What sort of comparative quantities do you use of the separate ingredients of the mash?

The proportion of veg is up to you. I like mainly potato + parsnip equal amounts and a smaller amount of swede.

Note that I avoid carrot as it never seems to mash smoothly.

Another thing to avoid is parsnips with a  woody core. These are much less common than they used to be but, I had one the other day.

Tonight we are having:

Steak & Ale Puff Pastry Pie (Sainsbury's);  Mashed Potatoes;  Savoy Cabbage;  Carrots & Gravy.

I made some Malt Loaf today (a different recipe from before - results to be reported later), so I guess my Hubby will be partaking of that for his desert.  :xwink:

Meatloaf today as per Recipes section.

Served with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts and truffle gravy. The truffle gravy is a packeted "instant mix" American product given to us by a friend. Somehow "instant mix" doesn't go with the supposed luxury connotations of truffles although the ingredient list does state it contains sliced dried truffle - way down the list, though.

29 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Meatloaf today as per Recipes section.

Served with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts and truffle gravy. The truffle gravy is a packeted "instant mix" American product given to us by a friend. Somehow "instant mix" doesn't go with the supposed luxury connotations of truffles although the ingredient list does state it contains sliced dried truffle - way down the list, though.

Good idea!  

We have half of a meatloaf which has been stored in the freezer.  :xbiggrin: 

So, I'll complete the clone with roast potatoes & parsnips, plus sprouts and gravy (not truffle though :whistling:

Same as yesterday with the other half of the meatloaf but not truffle gravy - that was very disappointing with almost no truffle flavour at all. Might do a mushroom sauce.

Just seen this on today's BBC recipe page. I'll give it a go:

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 15g/½oz butter
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove
  • few thyme leaves
  • 250g/9oz chestnut or portobellini mushrooms
  • 100ml/3½fl oz oloroso sherry
  • 250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock
  • 50ml/2fl oz single cream
  • To make the gravy, heat the olive oil and butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook for several minutes until starting to caramelise around the edges. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the garlic and thyme season well and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Turn up the heat and pour in the sherry. Allow to bubble until almost completely evaporated, then add the stock. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream just before serving.