What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Yesterday was trout with boiled Apache potatoes and green beans. Today Bacon chops with stuff, I'll have a sort through the freezer when the time comes and sort out something appropriate. Pudding will be the nectarines that we didn't eat on Sunday.

Turns out Stuff wasn't frozen at all, it was mash and a nice cheesy cabbage and tomato hotpot.

1 hour ago, andsome said:

Both of us have had our bad colds return ,as have several people we know,so we both feel pretty wretched. So tonight it’s something quick and easy out of the freezer. Black pudding, oven chips, and a couple of fried eggs,and some peas.

Very sorry to hear that, Keith.  Stay warm and get well soon, both of you.  

32 minutes ago, Irene said:

Very sorry to hear that, Keith.  Stay warm and get well soon, both of you.  

Thank you kind lady. If anyone tells you that they have had this particular come again cold, keep well clear of them, it’s wretched.

Tesco Butter chicken and rice served with a nice chunk of warm tomato and cheese focaccia .

We normally have M & S Butter chicken but they've stopped the multi buys and want full price for it which makes it a bit pricey so we're testing the new Tesco one see how it stands up.

Review Tesco Butter Chicken, not as flavoursome as M & S but not too bad and much better value at the moment, a viable alternative but not first choice.

This evening is:

Beef Olives with chicory (using Sainsbury's Beef Escalope's); Sainsbury's Fresh Egg Noodles; M&S Traditional Stringless Runner Beans - microwaved. 

...(Not sure if we will hard butter or gravy as 'juice').

With the flu epidemic we're keeping mum away from public dining just in case, but todays weather is supposed to be good so we're planning to take a flask of coffee, head off to the chippy and picnic in the car while parked on Clee hill taking in the panoramic views. It's less repetitious than dining in at home dodging lurgied people.  

Another thing lurking in the freezer was a nice looking topside joint so we'll be having that braised with carrots, celery and onions with a cobbler topping. Served with sugar snap peas.

Cobbler topping comprises a plain scone mixture, cut into discs and placed on top of the meat about 15 minutes before removing from the oven.

Plain scones:

225g Self Raising Flour

55g Butter

Pinch of salt

150ml Milk

Mix the flour and salt. Gently rub in the butter (as per making pastry). Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough and roll out to about 2 1/2 - 3cm thick, cut as required.

Saturday evening,and our usual is filled baps. Tonight it’s salt and pepper baps filled with flame smoked ham from Morrisons. I will have sliced onion on mine, and Er indoors will have sliced toms. I will have a couple of toms on my plate. We will share a bag of Morrisons vegetable crisps.

Found this and thought it worth a bash Harissa lamb with chickpeas gave me an excuse to blow the dust off mums Tagine which has been sat in the cupboard for months. Not bad, though I was probably way to tentative with the harissa as I've never used it before. Next time I'll try it with the apricots and a bit more of the spicy stuff, I'm also going to use fewer chickpeas as I'm not a huge fan.

Pork loin with stuffing, roast maris piper spuds and veg. 

When its my turn to do the Sunday lunch I cheat with the roast spuds. I par boil them, fluff them up in a dry saucepan on low heat and then deep fry them in sunflower oil at 180C. They are crisp and golden all over.