What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

My brother and his wife will be over for the next day or so, We decided that the best preparation for the added workload was to change the schedule and do this weeks dine out before they turn up. So we tested the Fish N Chips at the Hare and Hounds, we'd tried them a year or so ago and not been impressed enough to return but the place has changed hands since and been fully refurbished. Not bad at all and good value. Only drawback is they're quite busy at lunchtime and service could be quicker.

We had baked Maris Piper spuds, ham and cheese.

I wish we could buy Kerrs Pink potatoes in the UK. They used to be generally available in Ireland - I don't know about nowadays 

I used to visit friends in Ireland regularly and looked forward to any meal with Kerrs Pinks. They always cooked theirs in their skins in the farmhouse kitchen aga. They are similar to a King Edwards spud but even more difficult to boil when peeled - they run into the water. The best way is the method used by pops - bake them (or microwave as second best) and then scoop out the wonderfully white, fluffy and dry innards with a nice earthy taste.

I cannot stomach the anonymous potatoes the supermarkets pretend are ideal for baking. They are usually waxy, greasy on the palate and lacking in flavour.

Haddock loin in tempura batter cooked in deep fat fryer No 1 and McCains home chips cooked in Fryer No2 with marrowfat peas and tartar sauce. Management will have malt vinegar on her fries - I most certainly will not, I just have salt. I like my chips crispy and not sloshed with vinegar.

We had fillet beef -  free range stroganoffs with rice and a pleasant merlot to help it slide down the throat nicely

Qty

Ingredient

Qty

Ingredient

300 g

Fillet steak (cut into strips)

Medium sized onion - chopped

150 g

Mushrooms - chopped

15 ml

French mustard

30 ml

Brandy

30 ml

Masala wine

100 g

Philadelphia cream cheese

150 ml

Double cream

15 ml

Lemon juice

Butter for frying

METHOD

Melt butter in pan - add onion and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.  Add mushrooms and fry for a further 2 minutes.

Add steak to pan - stir in mustard and lemon juice.  Saute briskly for 5 minutes or until juices run pink. Take off heat, add Philadelphia cheese and stir in until molten.

Stir in Brandy, masala wine and cream gently heat - do not boil.

Decorate with Parsley

Serve with rice or pasta.

The above recipe is suitable for 2 greedy and 4 normal people

2 hours ago, andsome said:

We have an invitation to a client lunch organised by our financial adviser, but we have had quite a snow fall. I will phone the venue later.

It seems that the minor road that leads to the restaurant is passable,so we are going, looking forward to it.

Goats cheese and red onion tart with balsamic glaze and rocket salad.

Braised beef mashed potato,honey roasted root vegetables, with a panacetta and silver onion jus.

Vanilla macaroons with a praline buttercream. Lemon meringue tartlets. Milk chocolate ganache with a burnt white chocolate glaze. 

Cheese and biscuits .

Sauvignon Blanca hidden bay NZ white wine.  Malbec Alto de Mayo red wine

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Irene said:

Salmon with Crispy Cabbage and Kale [Recipe Here]; New Potatoes with butter.  

This is a new recipe to me...  I'll let you know the verdict.  

Enjoyed it very much.  Will definitely do it again.   yes.gif