What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

I had a half of an Aldi pepperoni pizza with extra cheese and lashings of onion added. I am deliberately halving the amount I eat each day until I get back to my weight before we went on holiday.  550 grams yet to go.

Today I had only one piece of toast with a scrape of Kerrygold butter, coffee and just half a glass of fresh orange juice.

Lunch - nothing

Evening as above.

Supper will be nothing - just my tablets.

Management had an omelette with salad. I won't eat salad in the winter.

Pork meatloaf (described earlier) with new potatoes, green beans, broccoli and onion gravy.

Note that I've made the meatloaf simpler in its method of preparation.

On 01/04/2018 at 9:07 AM, Belatucadrus said:

Saturday was Bacon chops, spicy potato wedges, oven crunchies and green beans.

??? - They sounded delicious !

Product Information

Iceland Potato & Bacon Crunchies with a Golden Crunch 550g

Nugget shapes formed from shredded potato with formed smoke flavour streaky bacon pre-fried in sunflower oil.

Country

Belgium

I so wish there was an Iceland near us !

I am enthralled by these :-

http://groceries.iceland.co.uk/iceland-roast-from-frozen-boneless-chicken-cushion-with-sage-and-onion-stuffing-1-5kg/p/68839?

I've never tried cushions before !

Product Information

Iceland Roast From Frozen Boneless Chicken Cushion with Sage & Onion Stuffing 1.5Kg

Formed chicken cushion made with basted skinless chicken breast fillet with added water and basted skinless chicken thigh fillet with added water, with a sage and onion stuffing, covered with chicken skin and cured streaky bacon slices with added water, topped with a slice of orange and cinnamon for decoration and sprinkled with parsley.

I rarely bother with prestuffed poultry as I never agree with the makers on what constitutes an adequate amount of stuffing, they invariably believe that at least 33% stuffing is required, occasionally more. Some products would be better described as Stuffing ball in a savoury chicken wrap.

As to the oven crunchies, the original and best were made by Ross and were just potato, they unfortunately vanished and some suppliers have attempted to "improve " on them by creating their own variation usually with bacon bits in. This does nothing for the flavour and adds a bit of fat that is detrimental to the texture. Still they're OK.

I could never eat a pre-stuffed meat of any kind having, as a child, smelled a pre-stuffed chicken which was suffering from being in a warm room for far too long. The green parts were not the colour of the sage in the stuffing. It took me a long time to pluck up the courage to eat any chicken after that.

Anyway, today is chickpea and mushroom curry with Pilau rice.

Tonight we shared a Slimming World black bean chicken with boiled rice.

It was supposed to be a meal for one but was more than plenty for both of us. It proved to be too spicy for our tastes. I will be pleased when Libby gives up going to her weekly fat club (Slimming World) and we can get back to eating proper meals. I must admit however, that she has lost her target 20 pounds in 6 months and now only goes for social reasons.  I swear she only did it as an excuse to have to buy all new clothes up to 2 sizes lower..

Spaghettoni(?) with a tomato, cheese and bacon sauce.

The spaghettoni looks to be a narrower gauge version of spaghetti - which I thought was called spaghettini but, hey-ho, it is Italian and they should know.

Tonight was a traditional slow roast topside beef with roast spuds, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, cauliflower, home cooked Yorkshire puddings and gravy plus lashings of English mustard.

Accompanied by a bottle of Quinta do Espirito Santo full bodied red wine (Imported by Laithwaites ) Exquisite Portuguese Red from Lisbon area standing at 14,5%. The nice thing is that you do not feel the alcohol and the wine is really balanced. Deep nose with black riped fruit and a hint of smoke, palate is very balanced with a hint of chocolate and a very thick full body. Long ending with an accent on minerals and dark cherries in the aftertaste. My favourite red wine hic.

The meal was scrumptious. (though I say it myself)