What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

3 hours ago, -pops- said:

Pasta with a Bolognese sauce. Not decided on the pasta yet although spaghettoni looks to be favoured ATM.

We always add a can of red beans and a whole chopped onion. We are greedy sods

Beef stew today with Actifry roast potatoes.

Tomorrow will be the other half of today's stew liquidised with a slosh of tomato purée and turned into beef & tomato soup.

Dinner tonight will be a Full English Breakfast comprising eggs, bacon, canned San Marzano tomatoes, kidneys, sausage, fried bread & bread and butter.

I've become a bit of a fan of canned tomatoes and the various qualities thereof. DOP San Marzano tomatoes reputedly grow on the slopes of Vesuvius and have a very characteristic rich flavour. Even if not grown on Vesuvius, San Marzanos are decidedly different from ordinary "cheapo" canned tomatoes and definitely worth a try at least.

We were out most of today in Stratford Upon Avon and were late getting home.  I called into M & S on the way and bought one of their Steak Pies in pastry (not just a pastry lid over a minced beef mush).

It was just as it said on the box - lumps of tender beef in a delicious gravy. The large one was £4 and adequate for us both. I still prefer home made pies - but it is a lot of work for an oldie and a ready made one of this quality is tempting.

I also bought a pack of Maris Piper spuds from M & S - they were more expensive - but a class above other supermarkets - not a blemish on them or any frost damage inside. The pack was only 1.5 kg so we will get no wastage - other supermarkets seem to have 2.5 kg packs - by the time we are half way through they go soft, start sprouting and get chucked away.

I suspect we will be shopping in M & S food store more often now.

M & S costs can be finessed, check the multi-buys, they're usually excellent. Also keep an eye out for the yellow label short dated items, sometimes not worth the bother but often huge discounts.

Mother also has a Sparks card which she assumed would be pretty useless but they regularly give her discounts of about 20% on stuff she buys so it's worked out very useful.

Oh yes, nearly forgot, Tesco pork & bramley apple sausages, jacket potato with cheese and a fried duck egg.

Been given a very large chicken so it's chicken in some form or another for the next several days.

Roast chicken today with roast potatoes, stringless beans, broccoli and stuffing.

We had rainbow trout, baked maris pipers and peas.

There is a story involved.

Shopping in Supermarket with Libby. She spots some bright eyed fresh whole trout on the fish counter for £2 each. She asked for two and for the guy to gut them and remove the heads.

He said he would gut them but he could not remove the heads - it was against Company policy because the price was for a whole fish.

Libby says she understood they were priced for a whole fish - which she was happy to pay - but wanted the heads removed and still pay £2.

"Sorry madam - I'm not allowed to do it"

" OK - call for the manager then and we will get the rule changed" says Libby. The assistant goes off to phone for the manager who appears after about 5 minutes.

He backed the assistant and said it was a company rule. At this point I lost patience, intervened,  and said we would be happy if they cut the heads off and pack the heads in one bag and the bodies in another for us to take away. Hence we comply with your stupid rule and go away with the complete fish. (except guts)

So that's what they did.

You couldn't make it up could you ?