What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Yesterday: Boiled gammon with parsley & onion sauce, new potatoes and stringless beans.

Today: the remainder of the gammon with eggs, canned tomatoes and bread.

Eat out day today and we had a try at the Colliers arms Clows Top, good reviews and always loads of cars in the car park. We were however somewhat disappointed, the fish was OK but the chips had that sort of heavy greasy texture that chip-shop chips get if they've been in the hot cabinet too long, not the crisp fluffy deal you get from fried to order. We've had better for less so I doubt we'll be back. 

Baked potatoes with cheese and chopped walnuts. Might have a few baked beans as well.

Branston Beans, of course. Far better than Heinz. Branston Beans, I think, are the rebranded Crosse & Blackwell product which I've always regarded as being a better product.

I went off beefburgers a while ago because I cannot stand the sweetness of the burger baps you get from all the supermarkets. I have solved my problem. Go to Waitrose and buy a pack of 2 half ciabattas. They are just the right width and long enough to hold two beefburgers.

For one person :-

Take one ciabatta and slice it in half horizontally, turn over the top layer and cover each half with grated mature cheddar cheese.

Use low fat steak mince and make two burger patties. Just the meat and nothing else. Salt and pepper excepted.

Slice a couple of medium size onions and cook them until they start to caramelise - but still soft. Keep warm for later

Put the burgers in a hot griddle pan and cook to taste. I like mine pink in the middle but not showing blood.

Place both halves of the ciabatta under a hot grill and melt all the cheese into the bun halves when the burgers are almost cooked.

Add the two burgers to one half of the bun and top with lashings of fried onion. Add dill gherkin and tomato sauce if that is your thing (it isn't mine) - pop the ciabatta top on and you have just created the perfect cheese burger.

I served mine with McCain Home Fries deep fried in sunflower seed oil accompanied by a glass of Portuguese full bodied 14.5% red wine..

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal tonight and will be doing that again. And again. And again.

42 minutes ago, Irene said:

Alan, with the exception of the red wine, that sounds very tempting...  strong red wine gives me a bad head and upsets my stomach.  

I take it as a homeopathic remedy because it contains trace elements of water and limit myself to 2 large glasses with dinner.

It has the same effect on me Irene - plus severe leg cramps at night - unless I also drink 3 litres of water before I go to bed. This ensures I visit the bathroom 3 times in the night which facilitates me raiding the medicine cabinet

However, I can guarantee that the combination of Waitrose ciabatta, home made lean beef burger, mature cheddar and slightly caramelised onion is truly pleasurable.  Never again will I eat those sweet and doughy commercial burger baps.

We are having four friends over for lunch today and will be having a traditional pork loin roast followed by bramley apple crumble with cream or custard. There will be a choice of either Brancott Estate New Zealand savignon blanc or Australian Black Stump full bodied Merlot. I won't be having dinner this evening - just 3 litres of water.

^^^^Again (apart from the red wine) this seems like the perfect burger.

Today is beef & vegetable soup - a sort of liquidised stew. I found some ancient pieces of stewing beef in the freezer so, into the pressure cooker with suitable vegetables, a quick blast at 130 Celcius, into the liquidiser, another quick blast and it's done.

Vegetables used were all oddments and leftover bits and bobs: carrot, leek, celery, parsnip, onion, swede and a few wrinkled tomatoes.