What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Missed out yesterday. It was homemade mushroom soup with bread rolls.

The mushrooms were Sainsbury's "greengrocer grade" - the misshape ones that don't make the top-notch (expensive) status - well, I'm not turning them into a work of art, so what difference does the shape make. I selected them as they had nice pink gills and firm texture.

Today is pork ribs with pomegranate and ras el hanout dressing served with sautéed potatoes and courgettes. I don't know what the dressing will be like, I'll report back tomorrow.

The pomegranate & whatever dressing was VERY disappointing. I threw the remainder of the bottle away.

Today I just fancy herring roes on toast. There are some roes in the freezer.

We had home cooked deep fried cod, chips and peas.

My son took us out to a fancy restaurant last week to mark Libby's 75th birthday and I fancied fish and chips.  It was superb - I love crispy batter that stays crispy for the whole meal and this did it in spades.

I sweet talked the waitress (who was rather nice and working in the holiday after graduating as a doctor after a 6 year university course and due to start work at a Sheffield hospital in September) to ask the chef if he would divulge his secret batter recipe.  I expected her to come back and either say he wouldn't - or it came in a commercial packet.  However, to my surprise the chef appeared at the table and explained that it was easy. He uses gluten free self raising flour and mixes it with a 50/50 mixture of ale and soda water to the consistency of single cream.  It has to be used straight away whilst it is still active.

I tried it this evening and the result was most pleasing - the best batter I have ever made.  When I do fish in batter I pre-heat our fan oven to 200 C and after deep frying the battered fish put it on a wire rack on a metal dish into the oven for a few minutes. You might - or might not - be surprised how much oil comes out leaving the batter virtually dry and crisp. Tonight it was very dry and very crisp. In fact truly yummy.

Tuesday was salmon en croute - salmon in cheese sauce in a puff pastry crust.

Today is an invention of Polish sausage casserole. If it's nice, I will post details later.

This evening we are having M&S 'Balmoral Chicken'. 

Which consists of:

Chicken Breast topped with crumbled haggis in a whisky, cream, bacon & mustard sauce with red onions chestnut mushrooms and Kalel.

To accompany we will have roast potatoes and carrots; … and gravy.

Using the remainder of the pork today. Sweet & sour pork in a crispy Tempura batter with rice. Usually, make my own S & S sauce but there's a jar of Sharwoods waiting so I'll have that instead. The batter is made with 2 parts wheat flour, one part cornflour mixed to a cream-like consistency with ice-cold fizzy mineral water and used immediately. Doesn't matter about a few lumps in it.

Yesterday: Mixed fish pie with sweet potato mash and broad beans. Served with parsley & onion sauce.

Today: Ratatouille, perhaps with smoked mackerel and French type bread.