What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Reverting back to last nights M&S meal. It wasn't brilliant but OK. I ate it without gagging - Libby really enjoyed it.

We had the lemon crumbed Chicken breasts with parmesan and smoked bacon lardons (It was lemon tangy but the crumb wasn't crispy)

Layered peas, broad beans and finely chopped cabbage

Black cherry sponges (Which were excellent)

This meal deal for 2 cost £6. It really is good value.

She is out shopping as I type - I wonder what cheapskate meal she will come home with................:uhm:

4 hours ago, AlanHo said:

Reverting back to last nights M&S meal. It wasn't brilliant but OK. I ate it without gagging - Libby really enjoyed it.

We had the lemon crumbed Chicken breasts with parmesan and smoked bacon lardons (It was lemon tangy but the crumb wasn't crispy)

Layered peas, broad beans and finely chopped cabbage

Black cherry sponges (Which were excellent)

This meal deal for 2 cost £6. It really is good value.

She is out shopping as I type - I wonder what cheapskate meal she will come home with................:uhm:

Probably cheese sandwiches with Branston Pickle.:5a1d9b6766171_rednose1:

On 10/17/2018 at 4:53 PM, andsome said:

Probably cheese sandwiches with Branston Pickle.

I wouldn't mind a cheese sandwich with Branston Pickle - especially if it is the small cut Branston. Yummy.

Instead we are having an Aldi pepperoni pizza with added onion and cheese. Accompanied by rabbit food (salad).

2 hours ago, AlanHo said:

I wouldn't mind a cheese sandwich with Branston Pickle - especially if it is the small cut Branston. Yummy.

Instead we are having an Aldi pepperoni pizza with added onion and cheese. Accompanied by rabbit food (salad).

Sounds good to me

An interesting choice pops. I'm sure it is delicious but is not a meal you would easily find in India and especially Pakistan or Bangladesh

Pork, is of course frowned on - to put it mildly - by Muslims.

Before the British partitioned India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, pork was a rarity in India because of the Muslim population there. It's effect lives on today. During my travels in India I have only seen pork in a restaurant a couple of times - and that was in 5 star hotels catering for Western visitors and never in a curry.

For similar reasons you will not easily find beef in India's curries. Cows there are sacred and you don't eat them (I did - but only in Western hotels)

The message is simple - anyone who goes into a British Indian restaurant and thinks they are eating genuine Indian food is under an illusion. Curries here are contrived and nothing like the real stuff. Try going into restaurant in Dehli and asking for a Balti - or Tikka Masala - they wouldn't know what you are talking about.

I really wasn't expecting authenticity with my dinner - what can you expect with the leftovers from a roast joint and a jar of Sharwoods?

Regarding the consumption of pig meat in the far east, I can't help thinking about the amount of pork consumed by all the non-Islamic peoples especially in Japan, China, Korea, and numerous other states

I think my meal would have been classed (in restaurantese) as 'fusion cuisine'.

We regularly have authenticity free cuisine in our house. Especially when my wife cooks dinner and wants to try out some weird exotic recipe she has unearthed from one of her knit and natter magazines.

So much so - we regularly have different meals.

For me the thought of something like crushed elephant goujons with carrot chips, fermented mushrooms and boiled holly leaves with a chiili strawberry blancmage sauce, is a touch off-putting.

A real basic meal tonight - Local butchers herb sausages with a tin of Napolina tomatoes and garlic bread  smothered in melted extra mature cheddar cheese

This will probably be followed by a couple of Gaviscon Double Action tablets for dessert.

Don’t know yet, depends what’s on the menu. Last night ‘Er indoors had roast beef. I had a portion each of three curries with pilau rice, and onion bhargis. I hope that’s the correct pronunciation.

'Tuscan' bean soup today - homemade, of course, and crusty bread. I'm thinking the soup will be nice with some thinly sliced Polish sausage in it.

There are a couple of Polish families living near here and the corner shop, although Indian run, stocks a few Polish deli meat products - mainly for the Poles - I find them very enjoyable as well.