What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

The soup yesterday was very good and there is enough for today. I'm really looking forward to it. I think I'll make some potato cakes to have with it.

I've posted the recipe for the soup in the recipes section.

For us home made southern style fried chicken with skinny chips and garden peas.  Eleven herbs and spices went into the crumb coating; an American friend gave me their recipe.

Followed by some really flavoursome Dutch strawberries and double cream.

I never know what we are having for dinner until

A)      I make it or

B)      Mrs Boris makes it

- we don't do advance meal planning in any way.

That way life is far more interesting ?

Today for example we had swede/parsnip/potato mash with poached eggs, baked beans and cooked baby tomatoes.

Tomorrow ................................... who knows ?

Our cooking is fairly extemporaneous but we decide in the morning so that we can buy in anything needed.

Today is gammon (leftovers from yesterday), leek, potato & mushroom pie perhaps with some tinned peas.

We visited Stamford Market in Lincolnshire today and decided to have a cooked meal at lunch time rather than for evening dinner.

We dined at an old pub called the Golden Fleece and had steak and ale pie. It truly was the best I have ever had in a pub or restaurant. It gave our home made beef pies a run for their money. 

12 hours ago, -pops- said:

Our cooking is fairly extemporaneous but we decide in the morning so that we can buy in anything needed.

Today is gammon (leftovers from yesterday), leek, potato & mushroom pie perhaps with some tinned peas.

Wouldn’t you prefer frozen peas.

My pea preferences depend on the meal I am eating.

I regard the different types of peas as different vegetables - in a similar way to instant coffee or Camp coffee having little resemblance to the real stuff. In that way, I see fresh peas different to frozen peas, in turn, different from tinned marrowfat, different to mushy, different to tinned garden peas and so on.

For this dish, I thought marrowfats most appropriate.

Today is toad-in-the-hole.