What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Sweet & Sour King Prawns yesterday.

Today is fish but we haven't obtained it yet.

No decent fish available. There is a piece of celeriac in the fridge so I'll do celeriac soup with bacon bits.

I trust you removed the digestive tract veins in the prawns before cooking them.

I never buy the pink pre cooked prawns because they are rarely de-veined and never eat shrimp or prawns in a restaurant for the same reason..

Prawns being bottom feeder eat the undesirable stuff off the river or sea bed which is what the black vein in the prawn is full of. Yuk Yuk and triple Yuk.

Yes, Alan, I'm always very careful about removing 'undesirable' bits from shellfish and, like you, do not buy them pre-cooked or have them in a restaurant.

When I was more active and able, I used to go down to Chichester or Brighton and buy live shrimps and prawns (sometimes even lobsters) and cook them myself. They always tasted much better than the pre-done ones.

Today is meatballs in a mushroom sauce with couscous.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:21 PM, -pops- said:

Lamb casserole (stew cooked in the oven) today.

We have given up on casseroles and saucepan stews. We used to have a slow cooker but it got wrecked during a house move 7 years ago.

I decided to replace it with a modern one 6 months ago. It is far better than the previous one and so much easier to clean with the non-stick lining.

Aubergine sliced about 1cm thick dipped in egg and semolina and shallow fried. Served with bacon, mushrooms and canned tomatoes. Possibly some bread on the side.

Cooked this way, aubergine goes soft and squidgy with a crisp outside.

Yesterday was fresh mussels in tomato sauce with rice.

Today is hake but not sure how it will be cooked yet.

Edit: the hake will be breadcrumbed and shallow fried, served with Actifry chips and cooked frozen peas.

Yesterday was a beef curry. I cheated by using a bottled (Sharwoods) Madras sauce.

Today is (completely) homemade leek & potato soup with the addition of Silesian (Polish) sausage (that part not homemade). Served with bread (made in the breadmaker).