What are you having for dinner today?

Irene

Well to be honest it's bacon chops again, but I've posted that at least twice already and I didn't want to look as if I was stuck in a rut. I was also wondering if anybody actually pays attention to what's posted on this thread, seems they do.

PS getting good quality penguin in the midlands is rather difficult and the Sealife centre get ratty if you try to take any of theirs.

6 hours ago, Belatucadrus said:

Well to be honest it's bacon chops again, but I've posted that at least twice already and I didn't want to look as if I was stuck in a rut. I was also wondering if anybody actually pays attention to what's posted on this thread, seems they do.

PS getting good quality penguin in the midlands is rather difficult and the Sealife centre get ratty if you try to take any of theirs.

See...  I pay attention!  :rofl:   

I like Bacon Chops.  Haven't had them for a while though - food for thought. :wink:

When I do them, I usually serve with New Potatoes, Broad Beans and Peas, plus a seasoned butter.  

Lunch today was one of my improvised home soups, when you've got loads of stuff get creative: Roast carrot, Apple & Coriander. Definitely sweeter than most of my soups but quite palatable and full of vitamins and minerals.  

As to bacon chops we find the supply a bit unpredictable, Aldi used to have nice ones then they stopped, Lidl have them as specials but they aren't reliable. M & S usually have them but at a price and Morrisons have them most of the time but they're cut rather thin

The problem with the penguin recipe, the more I think about it the more I want to try it :censored2:

Lamb casserole today.

It may seem that we eat a lot of lamb recently. Well, we do. The reason is that we buy whole animals and freeze them. I used to butcher them myself but, my age having put a stop to that. I have them butchered for me.

We are coming to the end of the current animal and using up the less desirable scraps.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

I wonder if penguin tastes similar to seagull? 

Frederick A. Cook, surgeon on the Belgica expedition ... :'It is rather difficult to describe its taste and appearance; we have absolutely no meat with which to compare it. The penguin, as an animal, seems to be made up of an equal proportion of a mammal, fish, and fowl. If it is possible to imagine a piece of beef, an odoriferous codfish, and a canvas-back duck, roasted in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce, the illustration will be complete.'

I gotta find me some penguin !!

I wonder if you could use Ostrich as an alternative, I've got some Ostrich in the freezer. 

Beef roll with peas, carrots and small roast potatoes plus gravy.

The beef roll is beef mince and onion fried together until nicely browned, an Oxo cube added and a small amount of water to moisten. This is allowed to cool and then spread on to suet pastry which has been rolled out into a sheet. The pastry is rolled up like a Swiss roll and baked for half an hour or so until well risen and cooked through. Served sliced with the accompaniments.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

Beef roll with peas, carrots and small roast potatoes plus gravy.

The beef roll is beef mince and onion fried together until nicely browned, an Oxo cube added and a small amount of water to moisten. This is allowed to cool and then spread on to suet pastry which has been rolled out into a sheet. The pastry is rolled up like a Swiss roll and baked for half an hour or so until well risen and cooked through. Served sliced with the accompaniments.

Interesting...  yes.gif  

I am reluctant to admit this, but tonight we had roast chicken breasts with roast Maris Piper spuds, steamed carrots , sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli with Sage, onion, thyme and parsley stuffing.

The bit I am embarrassed about is my wife bought the chicken came from an Aldi freezer. It was both boneless breasts in a foil roasting tray, which was £2.69 and was easily enough for serving 3 (generously) or 4.

You just peel the clear plastic cover off the foil dish, pop it into a fan oven at 180C for 50 minutes, leave to cool for 15 minutes, carve into lovely juicy slices and serve.

She is yet to persuade me to enter an Aldi or Lidl - they are German and they bombed our chip shop when I was but a kid.  However - I must reluctantly admit that some of the stuff Libby gets from there is remarkable value. NOt that I ever admit it.

Bought a nice piece of smoked haddock so kedgeree today.

I make mine by poaching the fish in acidulated water ( a teaspoon or so of lemon juice. NOT milk or milk and water - this makes the fishy smell so much stronger). I then poach one or two eggs per person in the same water. These are served on top of boiled rice to which has been added finely chopped spring onion and parsley. The whole thing is finished off with plenty of pepper and butter shavings.

54 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Bought a nice piece of smoked haddock so kedgeree today.

I make mine by poaching the fish in acidulated water ( a teaspoon or so of lemon juice. NOT milk or milk and water - this makes the fishy smell so much stronger). I then poach one or two eggs per person in the same water. These are served on top of boiled rice to which has been added finely chopped spring onion and parsley. The whole thing is finished off with plenty of pepper and butter shavings.

-pops-, that sounds delicious!  Any spare rooms at your house?  :whistling: