Favourite crisp flavour

Belatucadrus

Crisps for decades a fundamental part of the British diet, but which is best. There's now such a plethora of flavours and forms to choose from, so what's your flavour of choice,are you a traditionalist going for bog standard Walkers plain with the blue bag of salt or do you favour the latest clever hyper expensive baked artisan vegi crisp ? Crinkle cut or straight, what savoury comestible floats your boat ?

I'll start the ball rolling with the current top of my list The Walkers Sensations Sweet Wasabi & Ginger ! A new flavour that I tested and to be honest can't stop nibbling the damned things, extremely moreish.

I remember that Golden Wonder brought out a Baked Bean flavoured crisp as an experiment in the early 70's.  

My then local were given a box of 36 to try out.

On a whim, I had the first packet, but it seemed that nobody else ever fancied them, as it took me nearly 6 months to finish the box.

This is good timing .. I'm currently addicted to crisps. Eating at least 10 bags a week. :blush:

Crisp butties.

Favourite flavour? Hmm .... I'm pretty unadventurous and go for the old flavours, salt & vinegar, roast chicken. If it says crisps on the bag .. they're mine!

I did come across McCoy's Curry Chip Shop flavour chips ( just smaller crisps) which were rather tasty but the bags were far too small and I had to have two bags. The supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking them now damn and blast.

Flavours have never bothered me. I like any flavour really. I usually buy the 36 pack from Aldi but I do like the Crinkle Cut type as well. If I had to pick a favourite flavour it would be the Beef and Onion. 

3 hours ago, morty said:

I did come across McCoy's Curry Chip Shop flavour chips ( just smaller crisps) which were rather tasty but the bags were far too small and I had to have two bags. The supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking them now damn and blast.

Try Sainsbury - https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/mccoys-chip-shop-curry-sauce-potato-snack-125g

Tesco - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/296049714

I remember first tasting "Crisps" in the summer of 1939. We were on holiday just south Bridlington, in my uncles bungalow, on a field between the cliff and the road.

Just a 100+yds farther down the road was a "Club" for the holiday makers. On the particular day in question they were having an Ox Roast. I had a bag of Smiths crisps (there were no others at that time) and a slice of hot, very tasty ox. (no not full width, just a bit from the back leg.)

If I remember correctly from my youth and a few years before that, the only  crisps that were available to me where  Tudor Crisps. They were only available at the local Pub. If memory serves, they where 3p a packet. Later they became fashion in the local shops Months later. If you wanted Vinegar Crisps you had to buy a packet of Tudor and wait till you got home and throw in the Vinegar after adding the salt yourself. I remember years later that Smiths had taken over the Tuder crisp factory in Peterlee.  

I remember the shop next to the school would sell Smiths crisps at tuppence a bag and broken crisps at a penny. The bags of broken ones were far better value as they held about ten times more than the full price ones. In those days crisps were in greased paper bags which were as moisture resistant as toilet roll. They were kept in the shop in tins and they had to be eaten within a few hours of "de-tinning" if you wanted any semblance of crispness. Those were the days of the blue paper twists of salt in the packets - before the days when we are too lazy to put our own salt on. I had a dog then who would, given a packet of crisps, rip it open and then sort the blue salt bag out before eating and on the contents. He wasn't trained to do that, he must have had an aversion to salt.

I don't eat crisps very often nowadays but I have just tried the wasabi and ginger ones and find them quite nice. The ones I prefer now are the mixed root crisps. Tesco does their own brand which very closely resembles the Tyrell ones.

6 minutes ago, -pops- said:

Tesco does their own brand which very closely resembles the Tyrell ones.

I must give them a try, I love the Tyrell's version.

Edit:  I just checked Tesco (on-line) and it says that the product is currently unavailable. :sad:  

23 minutes ago, Irene said:

I must give them a try, I love the Tyrell's version.

Edit:  I just checked Tesco (on-line) and it says that the product is currently unavailable. :sad:  

I'll have a look in my local store - I'll be going there later today.

20 hours ago, Irene said:

I love Tyrrell's  Mixed Root Vegetable crisps. particularly the red beetroot ones.  I don't buy them too often because I can't stop eating them!  3026175660.gif

We love the vegetable crisps, but prefer Morrisons for flavour.  They are smaller bags but in my humble opinion tastier.

I have just arrived home from M & S.  Guess what I bought?  

...Yes, you're right!  A pack of 6 small bags of the M&S version of Veg Crisps.

Belatucadrus!  It's your fault for starting this thread and making me talk about them!  :laugh:

marks_and_spencer_handcooked_vegetable_crisps_100g-1493124747.jpg

Don't any of you cook your own crisps?

Maris Piper spuds cut thin on a mandolin (you can also use a potato peeler used carefully) then put onto wire trays in a single layer, placed in an oven at 80C, to dry out. Then plunged into the deep fat fryer containing fresh Sunflower seed oil heated to 190C.

When they float to the top and are just starting to change colour - they are done.

Delicious with a light dusting of salt.