Favourite crisp flavour

Belatucadrus

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've just remembered is Scampi flavoured crisps. These were one of the most revolting things ever invented and I could never understand why they ever got past the initial development phase.

The problem with them was apparent as soon as you opened the bag when great wafts of the most terrible smell were released. It was so strong, you could almost see it. It was a smell of rotting fish but more than that, it was decomposing rotting fish.

I came across this aberration of marketing in a pub where they were being consumer trialled. Free bags were being handed out to unsuspecting customers who would, on opening the bag, often visibly retch at the horror that met their nostrils.

These crisps never got on the open market.

2 hours ago, -pops- said:

Something I've just remembered is Scampi flavoured crisps. These were one of the most revolting things ever invented and I could never understand why they ever got past the initial development phase.

The problem with them was apparent as soon as you opened the bag when great wafts of the most terrible smell were released. It was so strong, you could almost see it. It was a smell of rotting fish but more than that, it was decomposing rotting fish.

I came across this aberration of marketing in a pub where they were being consumer trialled. Free bags were being handed out to unsuspecting customers who would, on opening the bag, often visibly retch at the horror that met their nostrils.

These crisps never got on the open market.

They sneaked under your radar pops

Scampi.JPG

These Scampi Fries are a mark 2 version of the original crisps with some lemon in there to ameliorate the pungency. Even so, they smell like stale, damp, used underwear. How anyone can put them near their mouth is beyond me and to actually eat them YUK!!!

Generally I find Tesco Limited Edition crisps either silly (spiced rum and cocoa) or a flavour abomination (Candy Cane) that should not exist. They have however come up with the exception Stilton and Truffle, blue cheese isn't to everybody's taste but it is to mine and these have a strong Stilton taste. They aren't the sort of thing you'll eat many of at a time too potent a flavour but that'll just make the pack last longer.  I may stock up on these.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

ansome     "Could not be bothered with faffing about making crisps. I have too much else to worry about. :hi:"

I just caught sight of "faffing" and it brought back memories of an aunt who used the word quite frequently.  She would say, " Why are you faffing about there?", "Stop faffing about with that cat.", "You faff about too much". etc. etc.  I wondered if it was a polite version of a word used in a similar way, starting with "f" and ending with a thick ear.

26 minutes ago, catgate said:

I wondered if it was a polite version of a word used in a similar way, starting with "f" and ending with a thick ear.

Not really, Faffing in the Midlands just indicates a pointless or bothersome activity. No euphemism if we want to use the F bomb we do, none of this Irish feckin stuff.

There is also a variation on a theme "Pithering" can be used synonymously in some cases with Faffing but has the distinct implication that somebody needs to grasp the nettle, get on with the task in hand and desist with dithering. May indeed be a portmanteau of Pathetic & Dithering contains the implication that the person doing the task is a bit of a wet blanket or a right Jessie.

4 hours ago, -pops- said:

In my upbringing "faffing about" and "fannying about" were synonymous and meant, as Belatucadrus states, a pointless or bothersome activity.

Used extensively in this area. I was under the impression that it was used everywhere 

12 hours ago, andsome said:

Used extensively in this area. I was under the impression that it was used everywhere 

Not in the South where I live now. When I first used fannying about it was met with great consternation and misunderstanding. It may have been because it was a business meeting and it was generally thought I was being vulgar and unprofessional (the latter I may accept but vulgar, moi? Never!)

4 hours ago, -pops- said:

When I first used fannying about it was met with great consternation and misunderstanding. It may have been because it was a business meeting...

At many business meetings there is a lot of fannying about, esp in the south.

I too used the expression, in business meetings in the south, but then I was known for coming out with phrases they hadn't heard before.

I just got a look, but then often a congratulatory remark in the corridor afterwards. Result!

On 23/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, Belatucadrus said:

I'll start the ball rolling with the current top of my list The Walkers Sensations Sweet Wasabi & Ginger ! A new flavour that I tested and to be honest can't stop nibbling the damned things, extremely moreish.

I'm afraid the enjoyment of these was very short lived. I just found the remains of the first bag hiding at the back of the sofa. I now realise I wasn't able to finish even the first bag. I find the thought of eating them somewhat nauseating. Even the dog won't eat them.