Back Up of E Mail Address Book

johnoo

18 minutes ago, andsome said:

They are in the form that they are said.  e.g.  [email protected]  This saves any problems if I need to reinstall Windows. They are usable right away without the need to reinstall any other programs.

That is why I ask the question.

I use Thunderbird e mail , but also looking at BT Yahoo mail for the export of address books, there are alternative file extentions that can be used, ie .CSV or .*tab or .vcf

I use .csv but would I be able to reinstall without any problems using this format?

45 minutes ago, Irene said:

Morning johnno  :smile:

I don't use Thunderbird, but I just found this guide which you might find useful:  CLICK HERE 

A very good, happy morning to you Irene.

Very good link you found.

Looks as if you can use any file extension, .csv or .tab & T.Bird sorts it out.

Let's hope I never need but best to back up in case

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, D4\/!d said:

We all hope we'll never need the backup.

It is worth running a test restore now, just to see how it works and also you'll now how it behaves when you come to do it for real.

Agree, but I don't think that Thunderbird/Firefox have a "Test restore" facility, please correct me if wrong

49 minutes ago, johnoo said:

Agree, but I don't think that Thunderbird/Firefox have a "Test restore" facility, please correct me if wrong

I don’t understand what you mean. I use Firefox and Thunderbug, and have no problem running system restore. It is nothing to do with your mail program or browser. It is a Windows program.

19 minutes ago, andsome said:

I don’t understand what you mean. I use Firefox and Thunderbug, and have no problem running system restore. It is nothing to do with your mail program or browser. It is a Windows program.

I'm aware that "Systems Restore" is a part of Windows.

I'm not talking about that.

I'm taking about restoring Thunderbird Profile as described in this link:-

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data

I have a copy of my Profile saved to an External Drive.

But I dont think there is any way of doing a Test Reinstall, again correct me if wrong

39 minutes ago, Boris said:

IMHO, now that MozBackup is not being developed any more, the simplest solution to most mail client backing up is the free KLS Mail Backup :biggrin:

http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/

Boris,

Very interesting, but does this mean that "MozBackup" will now not function?

Perhaps I'm going over the top as I keep a backup using "MosBackup" & also a copy of my T.Bird profile on External drive.

Now I have to investigate KLS

MozBackup will function - i can't say how well ! but there are known issues - see announcement below.  

I had problems on Windows 10 with MozBackup version 1.5.1 - the 1.5.2 Beta 1 version which was released fixed some bugs but not all. 

Moz.JPG

12 minutes ago, D4\/!d said:

Have you ever run one of your backups - just to see if it works and restores stuff as you expect it to?

I am not saying there is a Test Button. I am saying YOU do a test to prove it works properly.

Yes - quite a few times :biggrin:

1 hour ago, D4\/!d said:

Have you ever run one of your backups - just to see if it works and restores stuff as you expect it to?

I am not saying there is a Test Button. I am saying YOU do a test to prove it works properly.

No, have not, as I don't know how.

I just keep "MosBackup" & T.Bird profile on external drive.

If I have major problem I know a man who would be able to reinstall.

But if you would/could advise method I would be obliged

Sorry ol' son, I've never used your method, so am unable to advise you. All I was saying was, you keep making these backups but have you ever proved they are effective? It seems not. When I first made a backup image with Acronis yonks ago I set aside an afternoon to "test" a restore, just to see how it all behaved. Needless to say it was very worrying at the time, but at least I knew what to expect when I was in deep trouble and needed a recent backup. I don't think I can help you any further. Have fun :hi:

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Run MozBackup, click restore a profile, select whatever you want to restore.

Simples :biggrin:

Boris, Thanks, I was aware of this but unsure as to reinstall Profile, but foreget that.

Have been playing around with KLS this morning.

Constructed a Profile of :-

1 Files & Folders

2 Thunderbird

3 Firefox

Ran this & located resultant "Mybackup"

Only one problem!

For the "Files/Folders" part of the profile only "My Pictures" was selected.

Can't see how to add all of the "Document" Folders I have on my "C" drive.

Any ideas how to correct this?