Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
-pops-

Childhood Reminiscences

The Tripe thread seems to have stirred some memories of things we ate as a child. Here are some of mine:

Condensed milk sandwiches

Brown sauce (HP) sandwiches

Tomato sauce sandwiches (luxury, those)

Sugar (granulated) sandwiches

Camp coffee (still obtainable but it's not like I remember it)

Cherry Lips (Google tells us that these date from the '70's -wrong! They are much earlier than that)

Spangles

Devon Violets

Phul Nana cachous - the girls at school would suck these and spread the wet sweet on their skin as a perfume.

I'm sure there are loads more but, I'll leave others to add their memories if they wish

Sweet cigarettes

Spanish gold Sweet tobacco ( Desiccated coconut with a brown coating ) Spot the theme get kids acclimatized ASAP.

Olde English Spangles ( Unlike ordinary spangles these were disgusting )

Woppa Ice-creams on a stick

Opal Fruits before they got turned into Starburst

Marathon before it became Snickers ( daft name )

Curly Whirly when originally launched they were huge and hard work to chew, not the emaciated twigs they became as they shrank.

The days when your choice of shampoo was Vosene or Silvikrin (green,pink or yellow) and that was it, no sign of the serried ranks of exotic crap you get now to smother your locks with.

Olive oil was something you purchased from a pharmacy to treat ear ache, extra virgin, do what ?

Washing up liquid Fairy Liquid ( Green ) or Sqezy ( Yellow ) none of this Lemon Grass and essence of Flatus rubbish.

Ice-cream came in tiny cardboard boxes because your freezer, if you were lucky enough to have one was a compartment about the size of a bread bin in the top of your fridge.

PG tips collectors cards. You needed an extended family dedicated to drinking tea to have much chance of completing the set.

Swisskit the original muesli bar, "Avalanche no ava swisskit " some add tag lines stick. 

Corona lemonade and Ribena, both of which had a deposit on the bottle which I got to keep when I took the bottles back to the shop, can't remember how much but it seemed a lot at the time.

When fizzy water was sold in pressurized siphons with a tap on the top that you needed to return for a refill.

280ad9d2fc8a77c7bb72cec4a329903c.jpg

Cresta a fizzy fruit drink that looked great on TV ads ( Remember Cresta the bear ? ) but in actuality was a revolting sticky mess.

hqdefault.jpg

Liquorice and kali dip.

An orange as one of my Christmas Stocking fillers. (The stocking was a pillowcase).

Hopscotch and skipping ropes.

Queuing to board a steam train at our local station for August holiday in Colwyn Bay.  

We used to enjoy dipping our fingers into a mix of cocoa and sugar. There was also a local shop selling Vantas drinks. They were a shot of syrup into a bottle. Then a tube was put into the top of the bottle and a swirt of carbon dioxide was put in from a very large cylinder. We also used to chew on liquorice root until all the taste had gone then spit out the rest.

The sherbet fountain was one of those things I was sure I was going to love only to find I wasn't that fond of sherbet and really disliked licorice. Man I was annoyingly picky when the licorice all-sorts were passed around. 

Sherbet fountains ... yummy .. I loved 'em. There were some funny things called milk gums.

Those were the days when mum took out a pack of lard to fry chips in .. and marmite was a nourishing cheap meal with a crust of bread . Horrid stuff. And a visit to the chippy meant getting out the pickled red cabbage and piccalilli...yeh, I know piccalilli and chips, gross, but I loved it as a treat.

Mums of yesteryears seemed altogether better at stretching out food to feed hungry mouths.

Ah! The chippie. I was about sixteen before I ever went in a chip shop and sampled their fare - and found it wonderful. My mother had some delusions of grandeur and chip shops were places where common people fed themselves. "Not for the likes of us" she would say in her dismissals of my demands to sample the products which smelled so tempting as you passed by.

1 hour ago, morty said:

Sherbet fountains ... yummy .. I loved 'em. There were some funny things called milk gums.

Those were the days when mum took out a pack of lard to fry chips in .. and marmite was a nourishing cheap meal with a crust of bread . Horrid stuff. And a visit to the chippy meant getting out the pickled red cabbage and piccalilli...yeh, I know piccalilli and chips, gross, but I loved it as a treat.

Mums of yesteryears seemed altogether better at stretching out food to feed hungry mouths.

You actually LIKED marmite? Foul stuff.

marmite? Foul stuff.

Typical poor judgement, but then again I'm not surprised you like garlic,  suitable only for feeding French peasants and ruining food.

_91919042_3vpnux4f.jpg

:xbiggrin:

You must be all older than I am. I can't remember any of those things. Well before my time I think. :whistling:

1 hour ago, -pops- said:

Ah! The chippie. 

Who remembers buying a 'pennerth' (pennyworth) of chips from the chippie? 

I think I also had the leftover bits from the fish batter!  Maybe just a treat from the chippie server.  :wink:

There used to be a bakers over the road from our school where they sold "Penny-cakes" which were basically random cakes from the stuff that hadn't sold the day before. A friend of mine walked up to the counter and said in a loud voice " Have you got any of those stale buns ? " The shop was quite busy at the time and If looks could kill the lady behind the counter would have exterminated him there and then " You mean penny-cakes " she hissed. " Yes that's them" says Bob in the same loud voice " I'll have six of your stale cakes." I'm surprised she didn't go Nora Batty on him and chase him out.

I would always want a chocolate Santa Claus and a bag of chocolate money at Christmas. The quality of the chocolate in both was always dire and the money bag was made of knitted fine wire specially designed to unravel and penetrate the skin or, worse, under the fingernails. Also, the foil in which the coins were wrapped/moulded invariably had sharp edges resulting in cuts when trying to open them.

Also at Christmas the older generation would come over all cosmopolitan and buy a box of assorted small foil wrapped foreign cheese wedges from the nether regions of Yurup, needless to say these only ever surfaced in December largely as nobody particularly liked them. They would however appear at the same time next year as it was the done thing.

Back to the chippie...

Takeaway wrapped in newspaper as you walked down the street.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, Irene said:

I think I also had the leftover bits from the fish batter!  Maybe just a treat from the chippie server.  :wink:

I used to love those crispy bits.

I remember our local supermarket selling a bag of bits off the meat slicer for 2p a bag too. Our dog had them as a treat.

5 minutes ago, Irene said:

Back to the chippie...

Takeaway wrapped in newspaper as you walked down the street.

My local chippy was called 'Greasy Gert's'. And they were, awfully.

They never tasted as nice once they put them in those polystyrene trays.

3 minutes ago, andsome said:

I remember bags of broken biscuits and bags of broken crisps 

Yes we get the same problem when we buy them from Tesco :rolleyes:

I bet all this snow brings back memories for the older forum member of their youth hunting mammoths and woolly rhinos, running fleet footed across the snowy plain flint tipped spear in hand . The good old days before this processed food crept in.

:xtongue:

On 07/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Irene said:

I remember these being given away but one day we were told that the local council had told the chip shop that the batter bits had to be thrown away as they were "unhygienic". How the council arrived at this, I've no idea. If the batter bits were unhygienic then surely the fish was as well.

This was a chippie in Nottingham called Abbot's Friary - notice the tenuous Robin Hood connection. Wonder if it's still there, it was on Mansfield Road. Doubt it somehow - this was in the 1960's.

There are times when I realise I can be very slow on the uptake, take for example the thread title, it's taken me three days to notice.:paperbag1:

If you have no idea what I'm on about, don't worry it's not there any longer.