Strange problem with certain web site

johnoo

I'm using a Tower computer running Win 10 Version 1709 which is up to date.

But when I go into this web site:-

https://tickets.reallyusefultheatres.co.uk/42ndStreet/calendar/2018-04-20

The "Order Tickets" block bottom RHS disappears & I can't select it.

I'm using F/Fox as a Browser but have also used IE & Edge with same problem.

The web site owner says they can't find any problems

BUT, when I use my old slow laptop running Win. 8.1 I can select the "Order Tickets" block

So any ideas what is causing the problem & how to cure?

I get the same problem with my win10 tower using 3 browsers -  Edge, IE11 and Firefox - but the link posted by Boris works fine on all of them.

I can't offer any reason for the anomaly - other than the first link is incompatible with Win10 browsers. I have Malwarebytes and Adguard on my computer - I wonder if one of those is intervening .

21 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

I get the same problem with my win10 tower using 3 browsers -  Edge, IE11 and Firefox - but the link posted by Boris works fine on all of them.

I can't offer any reason for the anomaly - other than the first link is incompatible with Win10 browsers. I have Malwarebytes and Adguard on my computer - I wonder if one of those is intervening .

The machine I used has Win 10 with Firefox + Adblock Plus and also running (for ultra-safety) Bitdefender A/V, Acronis Ransomeware Protection, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and WinPatrol.

This stuff slows it a bit, but I had no problem getting to the Book Tickets page once I'd clicked on the 42nd Street picture on Johnoo's original link :smile:

Boris - you certainly believe in safe practices - so the anomaly remains a mystery. 

I sometimes meet websites that will not run properly on say Edge - so switch to IE11 or Firefox - to gain unimpeded access. I imagine that the code on some sites is somewhat incompatible with certain browsers.

Windows forum for example will not consistently accept BB code for images. Sometimes it does, and other times you just get the little black X box. My solution, as suggested by Irene, is not to use BB code but to use the "insert other Media" button and enter the image host's URL. I find the limitation a nuisance when I would like to post multiple images in a post by copying and pasting the BB code for several images interspersed with text. On 2 other forums I post on - they will happily accept BB code which makes life there quite simple. 

45 minutes ago, AlanHo said:

Boris - you certainly believe in safe practices - so the anomaly remains a mystery. 

That is the old (self built 2009 vintage) machine I use for checking out possibly dubious links/web pages and disinfecting other people's hard drives which have been locked/ransomed/trojanned/virused/botted etc.  It keeps it as safe as possible while it is doing its deeds.

1 hour ago, andsome said:

Both links work on my i pad

Andsome,

Yes both links work for me as well. But on the initial link posted by myself what happens when you select a date, go to Bottom right to see show available & then try to select "Buy Tickets", for me this "Buy tickets" box disappears & you can't select it

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to come back on this, but I've got a problem!

When I enter the link supplied by Boris:-

https://tickets.reallyusefultheatres.co.uk/42ndStreet/en-GB/events/42nd street/2018-4-20_19.30/theatre royal, drury lane?hallmap

I go to change the date on the theatre site & again the "order tickets" note disappears.

I've tried changing the date in the link but the site always seems to open with tickets for 20th April.

What am I doing wrong?

10 hours ago, Boris said:

Go to my link as before

Click on change date  (box at the top)

Select your date from the calendar and Robert is your father's brother.

This works fine for me :smile:

Boris, Thanks, but does not work for me.

I click on change date top right, select new date & then have to go to bottom right of web site to "Order Tickets"

When I try to select this "Order Tickets" disappears!

Same here on a Linux set up, if I accept the sites default date It's OK but if I change the date the minute the cursor enters the Buy ticket box, the relevant button vanishes only to reappear when the cursor leaves the box. I tried deactivating Ghostery and the Adblocker, didn't make any difference.

I've got a Windows machine, I'll boot that up and see what gives with that later on.

Well there is nothing wrong with the site (just tried it again - as below) - so it has to be something related to your configuration ? 

No idea why - can't you try ordering them from someone else's machine ?

BUY.JPG

Just tried it with the Windows 8.1 set up and it works with all available browsers. So while I can now replicate the problem on a Linux machine I have yet to get a Windows PC to do it and have no real idea as to what feature present in one but not the other is the requisite element that will enable full function in the browser.

:paperbag1:

24 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

Just tried it with the Windows 8.1 set up and it works with all available browsers. So while I can now replicate the problem on a Linux machine I have yet to get a Windows PC to do it and have no real idea as to what feature present in one but not the other is the requisite element that will enable full function in the browser.

:paperbag1:

Very strange, I'm using Windows 10, version 1709 on the M/c that gives the problem.

If I use my old, very slow laptop which uses Windows 8.1 there is no problem.

Using F/Fox on both as a Browser

30 minutes ago, Belatucadrus said:

As I said I'm stuck, first thought was that it may be something to do with W10 but both AlanHo and Boris are using it, so that isn't it. What security are you using ?

I'm using AVG Free Version, up to date Version 18.3.3051.

Also have MWB set up, only run weekly, so it's not running in background.

1 hour ago, Belatucadrus said:

I know AVG free has some web protection, is it possible to play with it a bit. Fiddle with the settings see if anything changes on the booking page.

Mind you sods law says you've probably also got AVG free on the laptop which as we know works. 

Bel,

Thanks for the idea. I've looked @ AVG & turned off the "Web Shield" element, however same problem when I went into the offending web site.

But must say, no I have not got AVG on the Laptop

10 minutes ago, Boris said:

Just tried it again with Win 10 version 1709 (16299.334) + Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit) - result as below :-

BLOB.JPG

I've tried it again Win 10 + AVG using F/Fox/IE/Edge

Still same problem

Think I'm about to give up on this, except to say AlanHo said he had same problem on post 29/March & he was not using AVG