W2K Recycle Bin Malfunction

I am on W2K and when I installed Symantecs Firewall and Antivirus Symantec took it on itself to also modify my recycle bin to protect files even further. I have tried to restore the bin to its original state, but when I delete a file instead of asking if I want to send it to the recycle bin, now it simply asks if I want to delete it, and if I do, it's gone! It is as though the recycle bin is not in the system. Any ideas.

I did that when I removed the Symantec bin. I even went through their removal process again and rebooted, but still no files show up. No matter how I delete a file the pop up window does not mention the recycle bin.

No, no. I just deleted the way Symantec wanted it to work. making things protected forever, etc. The bin is still there and is, as far as I can tell, is set up properly. Its just that nothing goes there when I delete it. I even thought that somehow the deleted items were just not visible, hidden if you will, but that does not seem to be the case either.

Normally things aren't protected forever, you decide how long to protect them for by selecting Norton Protection/Enable protection, then select how long for. What happens if you select a length of time to protect for? If this does not work you will have to hope that someone else can help. The only other thing I can suggest is to uninstall and reinstall the program.

I have disabled the Symantec protection and purged all of the files it was protecting, thinking that it may have met some volumn level that would not allow the recycle bin to hold anything else (also called grasping at straws!)

I also went back to my least favorite site, Microsoft, and waded through their Knowledge Base. One of the suggestions that it offered was that perhaps I no longer had rights to the Recycled directory, via some unknown corruption, and suggested i check the access. Problem: I cannot find a "Recycled" directory on either of my hard drives.

In another article, intended for W98, it talks about problems exactly like I have and attributes them to damaged "INFO" files in the Recycled directory, and/or damaged files in the Recycled Folder which may cause a problem. It suggests that the user delete the INFO files and the Recycled directory via a command prompt and that they will automatically reform at boot up. I'd try this except I can't find the Recycled directory and I am unsure about these directions originally intended for W98. What do you think?

No, I cannot find a Recycled Folder or directory anywhere on either drive. I have searched both with Win Explorer for "Recycle" and "Info", but no good.

Let me be more clear than I think I was. I still have the Recycled Bin on my desktop, its just that it never shows anything I delete and I cannot find it on either of my hard drives C & D.

Hi kenk,

a couple of things to check. Norton moves the recycle bin from c:\recycled to c:\recycler. Do you have this? You will (I believe) have to have your explorer views set to show hidden and system files to see and/or search for this.

Next, I am sure you have checked this, but if you right click on your desktop icon for the bin, have you checked that a; it is not set to automatically delete all files without using the recycle bin, and b; that the amount of space for the bin is not set to zero (default is usually 10% of the drive size).

Also M$ have reported some odd happenings with the 2k recycle bin, and recommend that you have at least SP3 installed to cure this. Do you have this installed?

I am just going to have a quick trawl round my registry to see if I can spot anything obvious.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Yes, I checked for folders named "recycle" figuring that it may have been changed and this shortened version would pick it up, but there is no such folder. I also checked for "recycler" but no good also. I did check the bin and the settings are correct with 10% of my 20 Gb HD allocated for the bin. It is set to show hidden files and I have SP4.

Yes, I checked for folders named "recycle" figuring that it may have been changed and this shortened version would pick it up, but there is no such folder.  I also checked for "recycler" but no good also.  I did check the bin and the settings are correct with 10% of my 20 Gb HD allocated for the bin.  It is set to show hidden files and I have SP4.

Just to check, it is actually a system folder and so is protected.

Have you enabled the view of these as well as hidden folders?

Mr. M.

I did not realize that there were two hidden file settings. I had checked to "Show hidden files & folders" but had not UNchecked "Hide protected OS files". I unchecked that and the recycle bin shows up on both my D drive where all of my work is stored and the C drive where I keep my apps. I did it that way for backup purposes.

Anyway the Recycle bin shows on C shows 9 files in it and the one on D shows 486 files in it when I click properties but none show up when I double click them to open the folder. I have told the Symantec program to purge all of the files it was protecting, but it looks like they are still there somehow in D.

This is begining to sound like a Symantec problem. What do you think?

Ok, the only other suggestions I can come up with for you at the moment are as follows,

Try to change the size of the bin, and restart.

Turn off the bin totally (tick the box which says to remove the files totally), then restart and turn it back on again then a final restart.

See what happens with the above.

Finally, reinstall Norton and at least try to get the bin working again, albeit with Norton protection. If you can at least get the bin back, we can try again on the removal front.

As a final resort, it may need a windows "repair" to be run, but I think that all other avenues should be exhausted before you try that.

Mr. M.

Right I was posting at the same time as your last two posts.

What is the recycle bin actually called? Recycled or Recycler?

Have you checked the rights to the folder now you can see it? Don't forget you may have to extend the rights to the files actually in the folder in order to see them.

Mr. M.

Sorry, but I am confused. I can change the size of the bin (I just upped it to 20%) but there are no files to delete according the the bin. What box do you mean to remove the files totally? "How do I "turn off the bin totally"?