I want to give it a go........But!!

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

I have decided that I would like to have a go at building myself a website.....BUT......don't know the first thing about it!!!

So......a couple of questions....(I will have a go at your tutorials mmmbisto!)

1. Where is a good place to get some space from?

2. Any ideas on subject matter.......... that is what has always stopped me before........wouldn't have a clue what to put on it!!

3. What makes a personal web site INTERESTING!!!!

4. Can you think of any questions I have forgotten to ask?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have some free webspace with your current ISP??? If not then try the link from The Prince. There are loads of freewebspace offers about, but there are few without annoying banners/ popups etc.

4. Can you think of any questions I have forgotten to ask?

How about the programs you are going to use to design and upload your site???

I have found Frontpage quite easy to use and not as complex as Dreamweaver MX. I also use Cute FTP to transfer files to and from the internet. There are a few others about, like Terrapin FTP, but I find Cute does the job and again is easy to use...

;) Hope it helps.... :D

Give it a go, Nellie!

I've got bogged down with mine - it should have been uploaded ages ago. Still working on it though.

I used Microsoft Word 2000. It's OK now I'm used to it but it's got a mind of its own sometimes. I decided to do a useful site (that was the idea, anyway) so I'm developing a beginners' tutorial for Outlook Express. Now I'm told I need to get Microsoft's permission - don't know whether that's right or not - as long as I acknowledge trademarks etc.

Do you have an interesting hobby? If so, you could develop a site around that. But it doesn't matter what the site's about - it's getting the experience that counts - and it's fun (when it's not frustrating).

I have free webspace with my ISP. But there are providers of free webspace - but they like to include adverts on your site. Here's a link to Geocities - it's owned by Yahoo.

There's loads of free stuff on the web to help with site building. I'll post some links if you like (at work now so got to be careful).

Forum members are very helpful so you'll get lots of support if you need it.

Pete :D

Guest Nellie2

Thanks for the info.......... where can I get Cute from??

I shall have to try to think of something interesting..........errrrr!!

Still thinking!! :unsure:

Guest whizwrinkly

Nellie,

There are loads of free web hosts out there, and you dont need any web design programs or FTP software. It all comes free with the package.

I haven't been on the internet for a year yet, but started experimenting with a free site with 20m.com soon after. I gradually learned with their tools, and when ready I got a site with 1&1 and same applies, all tools needed are supplied. Go on, get stuck in.

As far as content is concerned, I originally wanted to show off some of my personalised greetings cards, but other ideas seem to pop into your head as you go along. The cards have taken second place now.

Have a lok at my site, you may get some ideas, the place you live, your hobby, your childhood, etc...

Mine is not the best site in the world, but I like to mess about with it when Im bored with the TV.

Have a go with 20m.com, and Good Luck.....whiz... :D

U can get Cute ftp from HERE

I use it all the time and it is very simple to use, just a drag and drop setup...........

As for ideas, well in my case i just picked one of my hobbies (Guitar) and did the site about that........speaking of which im just in the process of redesigning it using Dreamweaver MX.

For a first time bit of kit try WEBPLUS 6 its free and easy to get to grips with

Good luck :D

PS Whiz...Love the site mate! :)

It certainly was me Ravin........Been learning to use Dreamweaver MX so the site was on hold for a while.....but now im getting to grips with MX ive started re-designing it.........Hopefully ill have something to show off by the end of the week!

Guest Nellie2

Wow...........I have loads to keep me busy now.......thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming.

I am getting a couple of ideas and once I have the thing off the ground I will let you all know

Guest Nellie2

Madboy.........ISP is NTL but the space provided by them is being used for something else so I will have to find my own space.

I really ought to have a look at mmmbisto's tutorials and will also download the web 6 thingy.....I have some time off work in a couple of weeks so I might use that time to start my project......seem to be spending all my evenings here!!!!! :)

Here's a good place to go to find all sorts of stuff to do with websites from tutorials to web inspiration sites. I find them really helpful right now:

http://www.websoup.org/

You could do a website about yourself. I have a ton of websites from my hobby Aromatherapy, my favourite music group and a website about myself.

I find that personal sites are great as long as they also have a little something for the visitor to keep them entertained too. I'd just have a look around at sites on the net at the moment for a few ideas. Do a search at google or something like that.

I'm currently looking for inspiration for a new layout. I'm getting there! Hehe! :lol:

Guest Nellie2

Ok...... I have downloaded Cute and the HTML editor thingy it has.....also web6.....at the moment I am looking at that websoup site mmmbisto. I have a couple of ideas......BUT...... I must be a right thicko........where do I begin????

I am sure the programs I have are very good but I don't know how to use them.

What I thought I would do was get my site down on paper as it were before I uploaded it to where ever I am going to put it.

I shall have another go at web6 and see what I am missing there........watch this space......I will get there in the end. :)

Guest whizwrinkly

Nellie2 <_<

I know I may be repeating myself a bit, but....

Forget about the downloaded stuff until you get to see what you can do without it. Then, after the real basic stage, start to mess about with HTML editors and FTP sites.

Believe me, almost every free webhost offers their own online tools and templates for free. All the hard work is done for you, you just click here to insert a picture, then click here to enter your text.

You choose a design you like from a range of templates, and upload your site with the minimum of fuss. Once you see what you are capable of, then look at the code and start to think technical.

I speak as a complete novice, but this is how I started and I believe it to be the best way, walk before you run.

I only suggest 20m.com because it is the one I initially used, there are many others out there. Just use the tools they supply to start with and you can have a site up and running before you know it. If you dont like it you can change it. You will be suprised how quickly you will learn in this way.

Good luck, whiz.....

Guest Nellie2

You are right whiz...... I think I am trying to run before I can walk here......I will probably take you up on your suggestion.

I suppose the first attempt doesn't have to be a major work of art does it??

Guest Shirley_Crabtree
I suppose the first attempt doesn't have to be a major work of art does it??

Exactly.

My first attempt at a webpage consisted of something like this! but it was the fact that I'd worked out how to get that far that made me plod on.

I mean...It took me ages to work out how to do that!! :P Although having said that I hate plodding through pages and pages of tutorials. :blink:

The main thing is don't be afraid to ask for help at any level because you WILL get it!!

Everyone has to start SOMEWHERE!!

Regards.

Shirl.