Ideas for best wireless network setup(s)

Guest Smiffy99

Guest Smiffy99

Hi guys, (And Nellie),

Right, the scenario -

I have a Desktop PC (XP Pro) and a Toshiba Laptop (XP Home). At present they are connected via a 4 port ADSL Router and seem satisfactory. However, I will shortly be connected to a Wireless Newwork at University witht he Laptop and my feeling is that a 54g (Backwards compatible with 802.11b) PC card is the way to go. If this is so, I may as well sort out a wirefree network at home as well and so would welcome any suggestions as to how best to network with the kit I already have or should I simply go for a wireless ADSL router and further Wireless PCI card for the desktop? Do the Routers have a ethernet connection that would allow the desktop to be connected with cable while allowing the laptop to use the wireless network card? (This would be cheaper).

2nd Problem -

A Friend want to set up a BB connection between two computers. He is on NTL 600 and has one PC downstairs, one upstairs. He does not want to cable them together. Both PC's use Windows ME.

Would 2 Witeless PCI cards be suffcient for a wireless notwork and allow him to share the BB connection between the two using the "main" pc as a server?

Any thoughs on this (he needs the cheapest option) welcome.

Many thanks.