DHCP network

korgg

Hello again !

This time it is not me with the problem...

A friend of mine asked me why the his dhcp network doesn't work like it should ..

The network consists of around 14 computers Fujitsu-Siemens with WIN XP PRO and about 2-3 laptops (also XP pro) ... Also he has one network printer set up on the network...

There are also 2 Win 2003 servers (HP proliant ML150) and one of them is the domain controller... But the dhcp leases (IP's, private) are given by a Cisco router (I guess it is 1200 series model, not sure here ) owned by the ISP. There are also 2 switches in cascade...

The problem is that sometimes the computers dont see each other on the network ...

Another problem is that to the Win 2003 server seems to be a maximum limit of connections ... (around 3 or 4)... Where can I modify that ?

The network was configured by me and some guy from that company and it was my first contact with Win 2003, domain controllers, SCSI and RAID ... I had to do it ! And I did it...But I didn't expect this kind of problems to appear... Although it is not my problem anymore, I want to do this for experience reasons :blink:

So, any help would be appreciated ... Thanks !...

ps: those servers run some damn ugly programs... :throw:

It is very much desirable to have your own Domain Controller(s) providing DHCP addresses. If your servers are doing it, you can control the information that is provided with the IP addresses like DNS Servers, and when the computers obtain their IP addresses from a Windows 2003 Server, DNS can be dynamically updated at the same time.

Is there any way the customer can have the ISP stop giving out DHCP addresses, so he can set it up to come from his own servers?

If not, you'll have to make sure DNS information is being handed out with the DHCP addresses from the router, and find a way to update the DNS servers on your network.