PhP, mySQL and CGI

Guest Damo

Ok, i need an expert in php sql and cgi, maybe not an expert but someone who knows what they're talkin about.

here goes:

Giving that my website is about Guitar tutorials (or soon to be!) its been suggested that i add a forum, so as to provide support to people learning, on a one to one basis(so to speak), this forum will only be about guitars and just concentrating on learning.

Now ive had a look at the software that Craigs using for this site, and downloaded it.

Ive unzipped it and tried to install it in my websace under a new folder called 'forums'.

This is where the problems start, the board isnt working, all i get is text on a word document type of background. Now according to Plusnet my normal webspace doesnt allow php executables to be run and ill have to upload it to my CGI space, which is fine, its what ive done, ive created a folder called forum in my 'cgi-bin' and ftp the files over but the trouble is how do i run the executable from my browser. In normal webspace it would be 'www.bigdamouk.plus.com/forums/sm_install.php' but when i try that i get an error 404 page not found.

So how do i run the sm_install.php?? when my browser cant see my CGI space?

Am i using the wrong URL??

Plusnet have said that they wont give support for third party software (which is fair enough) but this is to do with my CGI space.

Sorry if most of this doesnt make sense.

P.s I have SQL and CGI activated already and the server is Apache, cant remember the version number but i meet the spec requirments on everything.

Cheers

Damo

**GROAN**

Ive been searching forums all over the show and still no luck!

Apparently when i finally do get it working on the seperate CGI server, theres no absolute path to link it from my web site on the normal server!!!

GOD DAMN PLUSNET!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Okay!

First off, you wont need to install the invision board software into your CGI folder as it is not CGI!

The forum runs using the MySQL software database.

So you can upload the files anywhere you want.

If you want more help Damo, PM me and i'll give you a hand.