Network Management Tasks under Windows 2000 Server

n1ghts

Hi guys,

First of all, I dont know where to look forum to ask for technical interview advice so I hope you guys dont mind I am using networking board to ask below question. :D

I need help from those of you who work or who had been worked with windows 2000 server infrastructure. I am going for an interview this week and they said I am going to be given a simple test "Typical Network Management daily task", so that I need an advice from you guys out there to what kind of task I shall be tested later on.

Below are the list of responsibilities for the position which I am applying for:

" Maintenance and Upgrade of all computers, Servers and peripherals

" Ensuring Data Security, Backup and Antivirus are up-to-date

" Creating relevant policies, training documents and In Service Training (INSET) to educate and advise a range

" of staff abilities in the use of software

" Attend all relevant INSET meetings

" Further develop school websites, software solutions and systems

" Liase with internal agencies (Schools Information Management System {SIMS} Users) to provide support and

" guidance

" Provide technical leadership and 'solutions' to a host of bureaucratic scenarios

" Provide technical support to classroom teachers and administration staff

" Further develop and maintain several, critical Microsoft Access solutions

" Manage ordering and stock control

" Ensure tight and effective user-level security on each Domain and evaluate at regular intervals

" To provide cabling and other infrastructure changes as directed

" During school holiday breaks, to carry out tasks and chores as directed

" To negotiate personal holidays so as to cause minimum disruption to the school

" Any other reasonable duties as directed

Well any idea or feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks again guys :flowers:

I think the Networking Board is the perfect place for your question N1ghts.

I think you should focus on being able to do routine tasks in Active Directory like adding users, creating groups, putting users in groups and assigning rights to resources via groups.

It sounds like you should know the types of backups (incremental, differential, and full), and know how to come up with or maintain a backup scheme, i.e. incremental or differential with weekly full, with one full backup per week stored off site.

Do you know the maximum distance (per standard) a Category 5 cable can be run?

Do you know how to get around the distance limitation? (Ethernet fiber transciever).

Do you want questions and answers or just the things I think they'd be looking for?

Do you have access to a Windows 2000 Server to practice on?

well homecomputeraid, I think it is best for me to get more ideas such as questions and answers from all of you since I have aptitude test for graduate scheme as well. To tell you the truth this week I have been surrounded by interviews i.e. 4 in total... ^_^

Unfortunately, I dont have any access to windows 2000 server to practice on, but I am looking for visual presentation articles or books at the moment....if you guys know any please post the link to me....thanks...

By the way, can you explain further for the backup procedure you said earlier homecomputeraid, I know the theory behind it especially about "Tower of Hanoi" but I am lack of experience for practical hands-on.

Thanks again

thx homecomputeraid all your questions are relevant...I passed the test, probably they are going to offer me the job by next week wish me luck:>

PS: if i got the job, I will be sent to US for a week to accomplish oracle certification at UCLA, hope we can meet in person homecomputeraid ^_^