Cant browse workgroup

draggin

I have lost ability to browse my workgroup, I click on Netwrok Placesclick on view workgroup computers, egg timer appears and after about ten second the following message comes up

Home is not accessible (my workgroup) You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact your administrator in charge of this server.

This account is not authorised to log in from this station

Well I am currently logged in as administrator and have been able to access for over a year.

I can use the search program to search for a computer which it will find and I can then access them

The network seems to work ok apart from above.

Tim

Make sure you have Simple File Sharing turned on. Also, you might try changing the workgroup names on both PC's. Make sure the name is exactly the same on both PC's, and make sure they have a unique computer name.

To check the workgroup name, right click My Computer and select Properties from the menu that opens.

In the System Properties window, click the Computer Name tab. Make note of the Workgroup Name.

In the Networking Computer Name tab click the Change button. In the Computer Name Change window click Workgroup, and change it to match the name on the Windows other machine.

Click Ok, then Ok again.

Please post if you still have the same issue.

Problem, I don't have the Simple file sharing option???

I even ran the dam video to double check.

I have tried the change work group bit already, made no difference. Must admit I don't want to start changing PC names, the system was working perfectly a few weeks ago so I want to stick with what was working for the time being.

It looks like the next stage will be to work out what happened to simple file sharing, I checked the mS knowledge you directed me to and there was no indication if the simpel file tranfers is for both home and pro or pro only?? Any suggestion?

Tim

You likely have the Windows firewall getting in the way. If you have SP1, the firewall is "all or nothing" and blocks network connection. If you have SP2, you can set file and printer sharing as an exception to the firewall, and not have network traffic blocked. Right click on your Internet connection icon and select properties. Select the Advanced tab and follow your way to make firewall settings, marking file and printer sharing as an exception, or if SP1, disable the firewall and install an configurable one like Zone Alarm, wherein you can set up a "Trusted Zone" of a known ip range.